clear white slime on water surface and glass

kingjames

ok so i have a slight problem and cannot find any thing on the web, for the last couple of days i have had a white/clear slimy to the touch,and some white stingy,

substance on my aquarium glass and water surface, my corals seem slightly aggitated, but not dying and still expanding like 80%, have changed filter sock several times, i havnt used carbon in about a month so i threw some in my filter sock last night so we will see when i get home, but has anyone had an expirience like this and if so how did you fix it, and what possibly could be going on

thanks

Ive had the same thing appear on my tank a few times. It doesnt seem to affect my coral. I just clean it out and done. Would like to know what it is also, So ill tag along on this one

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Do you have decent flow in the tank and some mechanism skimming the surface. Sounds like some biofilm to me. Haven't personally had issues with it on the glass but water surface for sure.

have a skimmer rated for 120g in the sump thats pretty bada**, and 1900gph of flow from PH in DT, i was thinking that since my system hasnt been running carbon, then mabe this could be a build of coral mucus, thoughts????

I saw this when I was carbon dosing. When I accidentally overdosed carbon, I would have bacteria blooms. They were usually white. Think cyanobacteria only it's white and doesn't care about light (photosynthesis). Are you carbon dosing or is something adding carbon/phosphates?

So no bio balls? In my now-FW tank, I'm dosing Seachem Stability for the cycle (who knew FW had that, too?). I noticed a white bacteria film on the DT glass. It fluctuates with the water flow. I'm afraid to clean it off, because it might be important to my cycle. It looks like translucent cyano or the bacteria blooms I had in the reef tank when (over)dosing vinegar.

I get it at the top of my aquarium too. When I scrape the algae i comes off in a layer, somewhat like an egg-white. Timfish looked at it once and said it was just a film. I scrape it with the algae and let it stay in the tank and I've never really had a problem with it.

the other thing is does it set on top of the water like an oil slick? is your canopy a closed canopy or open? if closed its the gas exchange between the air and water. Check your PH, I bet its low. Just a few thoughts to check.

no canopy, checked everything last night,and every thing checked out, except for ammonia and nitrate, my kits were out of date since i havnt had to test them in years, but im getting a total water parms checked today, but the gas exchange is an interesting point

I saw this when I was carbon dosing. When I accidentally overdosed carbon, I would have bacteria blooms. They were usually white. Think cyanobacteria only it's white and doesn't care about light (photosynthesis). Are you carbon dosing or is something adding carbon/phosphates?

I've seen this as well. It looks like a mucus membrane on the glass. In the past I've cleaned it off with a sponge.

ok, guys got my water tested at two different sources and my params are perfect NO3 5ppm, ammonia 0, alk 9, calc 430, phospates undetectable,ph 8.1 this being with the lights off for almost 9 hours, talked to a few people and could only come up with two different thoughts, my water temp could be rising a little while im not home during the day, which it reads fine when i get home though, in between 78-80, or since i have not used carbon in two months since i had a mishap with cheap carbon, may be my corals are releasing toxins while competing in warfare. This sounds really like the only viable theory so far, not saying any other opinion is wrong, but my two part dosing regimine has been the same for the last 8 months with no problems, i am not carbon dosing at all, and all my parameters are in check, i have a huuuuuge LTA and a decent population of softies and LPS, and getting my sps back after loosing all my colonies, thank you to everyone posting their opinions, i am adding a reputable brand of carbon tonight and will keep yall posted

Archived