I think I need more O2 in my tank...

KevinB

I'm having trouble keeping my pH in a good range and I think it's a problem of too much CO2 and not enough O2. I don't use a skimmer, but I do use an airstone (which probably doesn't do much to help), and I use my powerbeads to create a turbulent water surface.

I have an old ETSS skimmer that I could install into the sump, but my sump design doesn't have a bubble trap I could use between the skimmer and return line.

So my questions are:

If I use the skimmer, I'll try to make a bubble tower where the skimmer outlet would enter a 4x4x8" acrylic box at about 4" from the bottom of the box. There would be about 3" of water above the skimmer outlet. The water entering the skimmer would have to travel down through 3-4" of live rock rubble, then out the bottom of the box. Does it seem like this design would eliminate the skimmer's micro bubbles?

Or are there skimmers out there that don't let out any microbubbles?

OR is there another option that I should consider for adding oxygen? I don't want to do ozone because of the inherent risks. Is macro algae the best way to go for producing o2?

thanks!

If you have a moderately modern home, then you have higher CO2 levels than outside. So adding bubblers may not help as much as you want.. You could pump in air from outside (I think Bio3 was thinking about this?) or leave windows open when the weather cooperates. I definitely saw pH rises when I left windows open, but now it's summer.

Before you start taking remedial action for pH, take readings throughout the day and confirm a reading with a different tester. It has been my experience that pH problems are just as likely to be measurement error than reality. Exceptions are for kalkwasser and CO2 reactors where pH problems are very possible.

You can test the indoor CO2 thing by aerating water indoors and outdoors for a given time and test the ph of both. I seem to remember it being an hour, but I don't think you can do it too long.

Consider your tank water inlet to sump. With a 3' waterfall, water cascading over rock is a very good gas exchange process.

Patrick

If his ambient CO2 is too high (house is too well sealed), more gas exchange is not necessarily a good thing.

Consider your tank water inlet to sump. With a 3' waterfall, water cascading over rock is a very good gas exchange process.

Patrick

If his ambient CO2 is too high (house is too well sealed), more gas exchange is not necessarily a good thing.

My understanding is it's much harder to get CO2 out of the water than to get O2 into the water so additional gas exchange should help even if the CO2 level inside is higher than outside. CO2 and O2 also are not mutally exclusive and both might be high. I would try what Planedon suggested first, if there's no difference in pH then additional aeration is probably not going to help much but it won't hurt either. If the pH goes up outside additional surface agitaion would be what I would try next.

Archived