New to salt water and looking to start a reef tank

Jason & Amber

Well as the title states i'm new to ARC. I have kept fresh water with my dad growing up and now have a 120g malawi cichlid tank and a 16g tanks with 2 shellies left. My

wonderful and loving wife has been trying to talk me into getting rid of the shellies and getting a nemo fish (yes 28 and calls it a nemo fish) so we have decided to take the plunge. With no real experience in it i joined the forum and am hoping to learn and start a healthy tank.

Thanks every one i'm really excited that my wife is getting into it a little and she was the one that actually offered up to get a bigger tank. We are just in the planning stages right now and looking for a bigger tank to use so she can get a few more things any ideas? We are trying to get a square tank that if 40-60g in black with a top reef ready or maybe a AIO system.

Yea that is what I would really like to do just cant find many. Trying to stay cheap if i tell here its another grand she will flip so looking used just not finding much right now. I actually got my 120g from a guy on here a year or two ago lol.

Welcome. Perfecto makes a 45 and 60 cube tank that comes reef ready. Not the cheapest things if buying brand new though. Stands tend to be tricky to come by on larger cube tanks unless you make your own as well.

If you're planning it out from scratch, I would definitely go RR with a decent sump. Just makes managing the whole tank so much easier with a good sump setup.

Welcome. I came on here a month or so ago in your boat and feel like i have learned a lot already. I am still in the planning stages myself. People here have been very nice and helpful. They seem patient, but they may role their eyes and think "well, i better help this idiot out before he kills a bunch of fish", but they never let it show smile.png. This forum is populated with awesome people. plan plan plan, research, research, research. I was amazed to find how little my freshwater experience seems to carry over.

Also, check the forums for systems to buy. If you are not too picky about the cube, you can usually find a really good deal. I bought a great complete setup from a member here and have been watching the freshwater pump through it until i can figure out what will actually go into it.

PS: i have found it helpful going through old tank builds, too. I click on tank builds and find the ones with the most replies and see what they did. if you can find one in your size range it is even better. i may be obessed on the research side, though. but i have found it fun/maddening.

Yea the 60g perfecto is what I was looking at. they are hard to find though. I would love a used set up maybe get a few extra things with it to save some money, but the wife is very picky so to do a cube or square it would have to be black so we kinda shoot are selves in the foot there. We will just have to keep hunting till we find the right one for us.

Welcome to the group. We're having a club meeting at my place on the 18th to discuss kind of the do's and don'ts of setting my tank up. I'd also done Africans for several years then switched over to tropical for several years using 120g tanks. Last July decided to take the plunge and go saltwater.

Yea that is what I would really like to do just cant find many. Trying to stay cheap if i tell here its another grand she will flip so looking used just not finding much right now. I actually got my 120g from a guy on here a year or two ago lol.

I'm going to go on record here, you will, without a doubt, go over a grand, even if it's amortized over a year with corals, fish, etc. Muauahahah

I'm going to go on record here, you will, without a doubt, go over a grand, even if it's amortized over a year with corals, fish, etc. Muauahahah

Challenge accepted. Do I have to include books?

Never mind, just remembered rock and substrate.

Well if its amortized over a year that isn't such a big deal. It's spending it up front that she doesn't like. I saw the meeting we are actually going to be at the V8 supercar race but I have already talked with the wife and we may try to get back up here for it.

I think for a 40 - 60 gallon you can do it a lot cheaper than $2000 at the start. My 40 gallon will probably be right around a grand before I add any livestock. If you are patient you seem to be able to get anything used here. Including rock and sand.

You can save a lot by going with a fish setup as opposed to a reef setup, too. Cheaper lights. Also, I'm sure plenty of people here are better with budgets and can help you find deals.

Just do some research before you buy anything to get a better idea what you may have to spend.

I'm doing as much DIY work as I can on my build and I'm already over $2k in expenses. Although, mine is a 125g. We will also be at the V8 SuperCar series race. Welcome to the forum!

I say your in 2k within 90 days, but I don't get along with budgets either. GL

I got the tank for $900 new. Traded a 29 gal Nano for the live rock. Hired a tank expert time who brought over a ton of corals and cleaned the tank for $200. And then I spent about $3000 at Aquadome on stupid fluffer fish that died. Tangs and Morish Idols look good for a few weeks and wither. So I am sticking to easy LPS corals and some SPS, hardy fish like small triggers, wrasses, rabbitfish, firefish, and snails.

welcome to the addiction. I went with a 90 gallon bow front and within a year I am now at a 180 gallon. Buy, buy, buy lol, i love it though. I decided to build my own stand http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/26866-starting-a-new-180-gallon-tank-and-stand-build/

so if you are handy you can build one and get exactly what you want.

Good luck with the build and ask lots of questions

Archived