Security system motion detectors

KevinB

My alarm system went off today because the motion sensor was tripped, with me out of town and my wife at work.<br /><br />Police came but no sign of forced entry, my wife came home and nothing unusual was noticed.<br /><br />My darkest fear was that my tank exploded, but everything was fine.<br /><br />Is this common with motion detectors?

Yes. A bad motion detector or other piece of alarm equipment is VERY common. Human error is another comon issue. I have been in law enforcemet for 15 years, answered hundreds of alarms and only had ONE turn out to be a true alarm and that was less than a month ago. The guy kicked the door in and was gone within 3 minutes.

It could be as simple as a moth landing on the motion sensor. Also, you may want to check the alarm codes for your zones. The zone that triggered the alarm should give you a pretty good idea of what it could and couldnt be. I.e. if Zone 3 triggered the alarm, and zone 3 is a motion detector that happens to face a sliding glass door with vertical blinds. then the AC could be your culprit (AC comes on, blinds move..motion detector goes off) NOTE: Zone3 at my house is my living room, which has a motion detector facing the door... Took me a while to correlate the alarm tripping to the change of temperature in the house.

Had a gecko crawl across a motion sensor once in the middle of the night, alarm company called us to see if we were ok and stayed on the phone with us while dad and I roamed the house together with pistols on safe.

Had a gecko crawl across a motion sensor once in the middle of the night, alarm company called us to see if we were ok and stayed on the phone with us while dad and I roamed the house together with pistols on safe.

did he try to save you money on your insurance?

post-884-0-88107800-1366842756.gif

Thanks for the replies everyone...<br /><br />No other pets, yes it is a passive ir, only one in the house. <br /><br />Probably a fluke but someone recommended I change the battery in the alarm box