Bristleworm sting

kmacc05

When I was setting up my new tank, I was moving the live rock around and noticed little yellow fibers sticking out of my hand all over. Almost like fiberglass. I thought to myself, "why the hell would fiberglass be in the rock?"

My right hand was covered in it and it was starting to sting and be very discomforting. So I washed my hands and messed with getting all these fibers out for what seemed like forever. Finally got them out and sort of forgot about posting to see what it could have been. I didn't see any evidence of fiberglass floating in the water or anything, so it just slipped my mind.

I just stumbled onto this youtube video and thought it was very interesting. I assume the rock I was handling had bristle worms in them and they stung me, leaving their bristles in my skin? I did not know this could happen.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting, so I figured I would share.

The tape Idea also works great for cactus and removing needles from your pets paws.

oh yeah, I have used it for several other applications. Just didn't ever think I would get stuck by something in the tank.

Bristleworms are also called fireworms. Do you have the usual gray and orange ones or a nastier version? Did you see them?

I don't know. I never saw anything on any rock. My hand just started burning like I had fiberglass in it.

The only type of worm I have seen from anything in my tank came from a lobo. My roommate and I were cutting a chunk of old skeleton off of the bottom of the lobo, and these black worms started squirming out of the rock. It was crazy as hell. We later found out that they were feather duster/tube worms of some sort. Put it back in the water and the fans opened up. Out of the water, they looked very creepy.

This from E medicine

heres the link from NEON REEFERcrab.gif

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/wilderness_bristleworm_sting/page3_em.htm

Bristleworm Sting Treatment

Treatment for a bristleworm sting includes the following:

• Remove bristles with tweezers or adhesive tape. A facial "peel" may be used over the over the spines or a thick layer of rubber cement. Once the rubber cement has dried, peel it off to remove or to pull the residual spines out of the skin.
  • Clean the skin carefully so as to not break off any of the spines.
  • Any of the following may help to relieve the symptoms especially after the spines have been removed: 5% acetic acid (Vinegar), 70% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), dilute ammonia or a paste or solution of meat tenderizer.
  • Severe skin irritation or other skin reactions may benefit from a topical corticosteroid cream or ointment such as hydrocortisone. Some individuals may even benefit from oral steroids such as prednisone.
  • If signs of infection are present, such as pus, redness, or localized warmth then the patient should consult a health care professional.
  • Oral antibiotics are often recommended to prevent secondary bacterial infection. Some antibiotics can cause sensitivity to the sun, so use a sunscreen (at least SPF 15) if a person must have sun exposure during treatment.
  • Pain may be relieved with acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) taken according to manufacturers direction(s