What kind of camera and lens do you use?

bigmike015

I'm sure there are better qualified people on ARC that will post but I have had pretty good luck with my iphone pressed against the glass. This usually only works 50% of the time and I must do it in the middle of the day when all my lights are on. Here's an example, be sure to click on it to see how much detail I was able to capture:

post-2030-0-26408000-1366692702_thumb.jp

I recently started using my wife's DSLR camera shooting in RAW format and then adjusting the temperature in photoshop to get a fairly good representation of the actual color. This seems to be a good way to get around all the blue noise that the blue LED's add to a photo. Here's an example that is a spot on representation of my Miami Orchid:

post-2030-0-92077900-1366692911_thumb.jp

Your right my iPhone takes great pics! I have a canon t4i, just can't get around getting the blue led lights adjusted in settings. The ARC should have a photography learners class and teach all us newbies how I take good pics! Lol

Your right my iPhone takes great pics! I have a canon t4i, just can't get around getting the blue led lights adjusted in settings. The ARC should have a photography learners class and teach all us newbies how I take good pics! Lol

Make sure to take in RAW, You have to post-edit them in photoshop, gimp, or another program to get the blue saturation out.

• 2 weeks later...

Cannon T-3 with a 100 F2 macro lens, I don't shoot in the raw as you can process JPG if you set the setting on your camera correctly. Macro photography and astrophotography process about the same. Work in layers to get the color to pop!!

challace.jpg

Jason Fox Halloween Chalace, JPG format

Cannon T-3 with a 100 F2 macro lens, I don't shoot in the raw as you can process JPG if you set the setting on your camera correctly. Macro photography and astrophotography process about the same. Work in layers to get the color to pop!!

challace.jpg

That's a great photo.

Very impressed with how well the iPhone5 did.

I use GIMP and and a NEF converter(not sure which one at the moment) and my only complaint is it will only adjust to 15K. It gets fairly close but it's not 100% color accurate for my tank.

As far as using Photoshop; check Youtube.

I need to buy a Tripod to use with my camera, a good macro lens, and maybe a top down box.

A good tripod is a must and you can pick one up for under $60. You can get a reverse lens kit if you don't have the cash for a good macro for $35 and make your own top down box.

challace.jpg

I want that lens... Nice pic

I was looking at that lens the other day. Going to hold off until I actually need a true macro.

I've got a 70-300 sigma macro that I snagged on ebay for $30, and the stock canon 18-55 macro. Neither are ground breaking but the sigma is get pretty good zoomed in as long as it's on a tripod.

I'm shooting with a Canon Rebel XTi and a 35-70mm lens with three magnification filters stacked on the front. Using a homebrew photobarrel to shoot underwater (it's like a photobox, only better IMHO).

I'm no pro, but I've managed to get some pretty nice shots.

MangoLimes.jpg

I'm shooting with a Canon Rebel XTi and a 35-70mm lens with three magnification filters stacked on the front. Using a homebrew photobarrel to shoot underwater (it's like a photobox, only better IMHO).

I'm no pro, but I've managed to get some pretty nice shots.

MangoLimes.jpg

That is a very nice picture.

do you have a pic of the box you use underwater by chance? I have been trying to think of way to do this, i am curious!!!

Dang it! I replied to this on my phone, which apparently decided I didn't need to reply.

I just got home tonite, but I will post up a picture tomorrow for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived