How to make it quiet

dshel1217

I was hoping someone out there has some experience with ideas and pointer on how to quiet down all the pumps and motors running in the average fish tank.

---For example placing a foam like mat under your sump to help keep vibrations and noise down.

?????Does anyone know if there is anything to rap around a pump to stop some of the noise?????

Mouse pad, but you risk thermal overload. Set a mouse pad under the pump if its vibrating in the bottom. To solve a lot if my sound in the large multitank system I built I put it all on one pump so I could eliminate heat and noisy pumps.

Does your pump have suction cup feet? They seem to make a good difference as well. Any pointers on making the gurgle go away on the overflows lol?

Ask mitch about his gurgle buster, also what type of overflow are you running? Got air bleeds in it? (drilled a hole where air can get injected inside the tubing instead of sucked in the front)

My overflow is really quiet because I undersized the return pump so there is always air going down with the water.

My skimmer pump makes a noise that drives me nuts. I heard silicon heating pads work to dull noise from vibration so I'm going to try that- I'll let you know if it works.

Ask mitch about his gurgle buster

I put in a Hofer Gurgle Buster from the beginning, so that's all I'm familiar with. It's pretty much noise free once it's tweaked. Oh, and the reason I went with it originally was that it doesn't take up as much room as say the durso. Most of my tank noise came from where the overflow dumped into the sump. I fixed that by extending the tubes all the way to the bottom and putting a 45 deg elbow.

My overflow is almost completely silent. I am running a gate valve on the drain, and have a second drain that is a bit higher and only gets used if something goes wrong. I have to adjust it about once a month (usually when I mess with something), but it is pretty much hassle free. You can do it with any tank that has two bulkheads, but it is easier if you have three (two drains + one return).

I was hoping someone out there has some experience with ideas and pointer on how to quiet down all the pumps and motors running in the average fish tank.

---For example placing a foam like mat under your sump to help keep vibrations and noise down.

?????Does anyone know if there is anything to rap around a pump to stop some of the noise?????

Harmonics are likely at play as well. You may want to think about buying some cheap sound dampening material off ebay and attaching it in the hollow areas of your tank stand. The hollow areas (underneath cabinets, drawers) will act as a resonance chamber. I did this plus I purchased the pump silencer pads off BRS for my return/skimmer. The space between the bottom glass of the sump and tank stand are generally the culprit areas for resonance. Also, look for anything that may be touching your return lines or the return pump indirectly. I.e. something thats rattling because the of the pumps vibrations. Also, I assume you've ruled out impeller damage?

I use shower pan liner in my stand...dampens sound and prevents water soaking into wood if there is a spill...also easy to wipe off salt creep.

now if I could just get my mp40 to be quieter...

Brilliant.

• 1 month later...

I am going to end up filling my stand with sound absorbing foam. Since it's a complete enclosure I get a nice hum from all the equipment inside. It's not loud, just annoying. I am going to try and source some of that pyramid shaped foam.

I used on my return pump airline tubing. My pump is a mag and the come with the flat back plate to rest on. I just took tubing and ran it around shoving in down in the corners this fixed my vibrating problem on my return.

I used on my return pump airline tubing. My pump is a mag and the come with the flat back plate to rest on. I just took tubing and ran it around shoving in down in the corners this fixed my vibrating problem on my return.

Good idea

Archived