Coralline Algae

scubasteve92

ditto with purple up. It HELPS with coralline, but remember that it doesn't contain coralline :) I live north, but I can spare a seed rock or two from my rubble bin :) I started dry and added snails that had some coralline on them. Now I have it everywhere in my LR curing tank. :)

Not sure where to post this but, I am wanting to see if anyone is willing to scrap off some coralline for me! smile.png

I don't have any growing in my tank and have read that you have to introduce it into the system.

Thanks,

Joshua

I've got literally coraline cluster balls that are solid coraline I can give you some to drop in if you want.

Do you test your Mg levels? I noticed in a previous tank when I was treating for bryopsis that elevated Mg makes the coraline go crazy. Not sure what's in purple up, but I'm fairly confident in suggesting good Ca levels and good to abnormally high Mg levels will result in accelerated coraline growth.

Do you test your Mg levels? I noticed in a previous tank when I was treating for bryopsis that elevated Mg makes the coraline go crazy. Not sure what's in purple up, but I'm fairly confident in suggesting good Ca levels and good to abnormally high Mg levels will result in accelerated coraline growth.

I do, they stay from 1200 - 1240. Is that low?

Puple Up is a liquid form of Araga Might which is the only calcium additive I use on my tanks that don't have calcium reactors. Both products are a balanced supplement meaning they have calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate, and bicarbonate buffers in the same ratios that is found in the water around reefs. (If you look at Tropicorium's website they only use Araga Might.)

I would probably shoot for around 1500ppm, as it is beneficial to Ca absorption and has zero negative effects in my experience if you only slightly overdo it.

For the record, mine was 2300 - 2500 ppm for about 3 months before I gave up on the bryopsis and went to H2O2. Gets really expensive keeping a tank that high with tech-m and performing normal water changes.

be careful dosing calcium while using purple up. PurpleUp (As Tim states) is a full supplement package. My fiance doses her tank with Mg, and her coralline growth is out of control!

With Mg/Ca you want a 3 to 1 ratio.. so if you have a 400 Ca you want 1200 Mg.

If Bio doesnt hook you up with a Coralline ball, let me know.

Unless you are using totally dry live rock, you will have coralline spores in the tank already, you usually see spot's popping up around the 2-3 month mark if condition's are otherwise inline....notably phosphate level's which also inhibit coralline growth. There are both lower and mid light level types of coralline, maintaining your alk/ca and magnesium levels at stable level's will certainly help with coralline development. Keep in mind that coralline algae is a big consumer of magnesium, elevated level's are also problematic to some critter's most notably turbo snail's. Warmer tanks seem to have a harder time getting coralline going. You also need to keep an eye on salinity level's if dosing up 100ppm - 200ppm. YMMV http://tinyurl.com/apusrv4

Cheers,

Archived