Black algae mold

Dave.stevens

Hi all, I have not been a member for long but have a problem with my 150 gallon salt tank. I think I have black algae or some kind of black mold growing. I have a couple of photos attached and hope that you all can give me some kind of help with it. The tank is about a year old and just has the following in it right now. Live sand, live rock, 2 emerald crabs, one large hermit, one small hermit. Three fish (in a photo #4), I have been having an issue with my protein skimmer so it has been on and off. I am not sure if it started after I added some new rock or not (the new rock is in the back of the photos of the mold #5 and #6). I have been patient and really want to get this tank up and running but if I need to do something drastic this would be the best time I think.

Looking for any help that I can get to fix this.

post-2404-0-23149100-1358197913_thumb.jp

post-2404-0-00445700-1358197929_thumb.jp

post-2404-0-51578400-1358197942_thumb.jp

I'm almost certain it's cyanobacreria. It comes in many colors, this being the purple variety. Purple and blue/green are the most common in my experience. Is this a new tank and what type of sand are you using?

Typically it shows up when there is excess NO3, PO4 or a abnormal ratio of the 2. Certain type of sand that contain silica can greatly contribute to it as well as old light bulbs or poor quality lighting.

Thanks to all of you great people for the great information. I have just started with salt and I like it so far. I am going to work on the skimmer today and follow your suggestions Brian. I hope to meet some of you or all of you at this months meeting.

Another thing that caught my eye was that you state the tank is about a year old... Old bulbs could play into this some as well... Not sure, as you didn't include much information about that. Also do you have any power heads and is the Cyano occurring in places with less flow? You may need to increase water flow within your tank and replace bulbs along with the other recommendations that have been included above.

I would not stir the sand bed. It will relase more nutrients into the water column. This will feed the cyano even more. Chemiclean will get rid of it. Just turn your skimmer off when using chemiclean or you will have a major mess on your hands.

Siphon out the cyanobacter carefully with the upper layer of substrate attached to it. Check water parameters especially PO4 and NO3. Do not overfeed and most importantly increase the water movement in the substrate proximity. Get the skimmer running. Be aggressive or it will reappear soon.