Sleep Number Bed

AquaJohn

Its time for a new mattress and am looking for help in how you like your sleep number bed ?

How long have you had it ?

How long did it take to like it ? My last mattress sucked like a turbo snail for several months till my back got used to it lol.

do you still adjust it ? or once you set it you forget it :).

Thanks for any help

I also have an Ikea cheep memory foam mattress in a spare room that I have not given much of a shot I did not like it but only slept on it for 2-3 nights.

About 8 years.

A few nights.

It's mostly set and forget. My wife changes hers from time to time but I can't remember the last time I changed mine.

For the most part, I like it. It's an air mattress essentially.

The sides aren't super sturdy. In fact, they don't recommend sitting on the side for a long period of time. I don't recommend sitting on it longer than to get in or out. We replaced our side once due to sagging. I don't know if they've changed the design or not so it may not be an issue any more.

Having 2 cores that can be different can make for different heights of the 'mattress' which can make things, er, fun, during, er, uh, 'turning over'(Yeah, that's the ticket). ;)

I've had mine about 2 months and love it!

It took me about a week to adjust to it.

I set it at 45. I tried a couple of nights on 40 and 50 but found 45 was the best spot.

I sleep on my side and used to wake up 5-10 times a night and turn over on the other side. Now I sleep through the night and don't do any flip flops until maybe 4:30 or so. I can really tell I'm getting better rest every night.

On mine all four sides are about a 4" square piece of thick foam

We have had ours about 12 years... Yeah fiddled a little at first but otherwise it's mostly set. Occasionally when my back is hurting before bed I will play with it but eventually it's back on 45.

Yes our sides are almost shot... But I figure its outlasted all our other mattresses so soon we will be in the market for another new one...

I don't own one but I've slept in one multiple times on business trips and vacations. I just haven't been able to get comfortable in one of those. My wife feels the same way. It may just be something to get used to, I haven't spend more than 3 consecutive nights in one, but I have no problem on most good spring mattresses. The Hilton Serenity, or non hotel version equivalent, is my mattress of choice as far as what I've tried in nice hotels. Sears has some really good mattresses that rival any other spring ones as well.

U could go to Walmart and get u a Coleman's air mattress and a memory foam topper and spend bout $200 for the same thing.... The best thing to do is read and do sum research there are pros and cons to everything u will see everything from replacing the sides the bladder, pump and even them trapping moisture and having mold build up.... I sell mattress so in my eyes best bang for ur buck would b a Simmons comfor-pedic (memory foam) I sleep on a tempur-pedic cloud luxe and that to is a pretty awesome mattress but cost is bout $5000 compared to comfor-pedic u can get a little better feel for bout $3000... Good luck with ur purchase

My parents swear by them. Back when I was living at home I had one and it drove me nuts with the different heights on different sides/chambers (queen size). The unichamber is a little better but I still prefer a standard mattress.

I had not considered it having 2 chambers. I currently sleep in the middle of my king sized bed so thats not sounding too good lol. If you set both sides at the same number hows the middle ?

I guess the alternative would be to hook up and get married so I would then have to buy a couch and not worry about the middle of the bed.

I sleep on an airmatress when I go back to California for 2-3 weeks at a time and its not bad and that dont have the foam topper ;). But come on they have to have more support than the 100 air matress.

well went for a test ride today lol I should have stayed away. Of coarse I fell in love with the I10 and at 5500 bucks for a bed its insane but I am actually considering it lol. I guess with 15 years of use that's only like a buck a day right come on you know you can convince me to get it.

Also I would look up hotels that have one and try it out. I stayed at a hotel that had a sleep number bed and wasn't that impressed. I forget what the four seasons uses and it was nice but the front desk said those beds cost $8000. The Hilton downtown, their beds were amazing. It was a tempurpedic I think.

Well I have an awesome reef tank already :)

the thing about splurging is I splurge to often hehe. I am probably going to do it I just have to do a bit more research before I can commit

I know someone that runs a Radison that had 1200 of them but hotels get the bottom of the line "custom" made for them. So I don't know if hotel would be a good example of there high end beds. Its like the mattress I have now a cheep no name $299 king size to compare that with a tempropedic <SP> pillow top super mattress.

I also tried out a few regular mattresses and found a beauty rest that was comfortable but it did not have all the cool buttons to push and the thought of having a friend stay over and let all the air out of there side is just to strong of a pull

Txnano knows his stuff. He sells these thing every day to all sizes/types of people. I have the simmons BR Noel. It took a week to get used to. Now I sleep like a rock and wake up with no aches. On my old spring mattress, I would sometimes think I'd need a tow truck to pull me out of bed in the mornings...back aches bad...

We got our Dream Number (Sleep Number competitor) about 13 months ago. The price was significantly lower than Sleep number, supposedly because they only sell online. My wife likes it, I think it's okay. I preferred my high dollar Serta mattress I had bought a few years before but it was too soft for her back. With the Dream Number mattress (with memory foam topper) I don't like that when I sit up I get the "seesaw" effect, but it is an air mattress. I do hate the foam barrier between our sides, it makes a valley in the bed that both of us hate to cross. It'll end spooning if that matters to you. It is nice that we each can adjust our own side, and that we each have our own controls.

We bought it after trying the Costco memory foam. The price was right, but for memory foam it was hard as a rock and both of us found it very uncomfortable with little give. Luckily Costco has a great return policy, even on mattresses.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info.

I ended up going to a sleep experts shop its new to the Austin area to try there "sleep number bed" I guess they actualy made it first anyways they have not shipped any to the Austin area yet so while I was there I tried out all there mattresses and found one I really liked it was a spring foam hybrid called xs3 imattress and when I asked about a California King he said they had one that the box springs were damaged in shipping so the customer refused the shippment. So they had to sell it as a return with a deep discount because there were no box springs. I was cool with that I have a platform bed anyways so no need for the springs. Duno if I had smoke blown up my behind but it was the mattress I liked and got it for 50% off the 50% off year end sale price lol.

So instead of 5500 for the sleep number I liked I got a mattress with all the goodies pillows mattress protector ect for just over 700 bucks :) and the good nights of sleep I have gotten over the last week are priceless lol.