• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the 2nd thing i will have to do is add a wireless adapter. wife wont tolerate cables running across the living room. lucky for me i have 1 more plug left on my switch.

Looking into all the DNS stuff to make it accessable outside of the house. but getting a little confused. especially since i have my own domain i'd like to use with the dynDNS service. need some help figuring that kind of stuff out. i can build sites and do all kinds of things but when it comes to technical jargon i get so confused.

I have at&t uverse with the 2-wire gateway. I have looked at some of the port fwd stuff and that makes sense I think I can handle that.

As far as the bridge I have a dd-wrt router ill use for a bridge. Its old and I will need to get it set up as a bridge instead of a router but it should work.

The down side is its not here yet. I don't yet have a tracking number either so its taunting me.

Arrrgh

I see dead people. Then I bring them back to life.

i'm not familiar w/ uverse, but i am sure there are members who are and can help if you run into specific issues.

i've repurposed a router with ddwrt in client mode, so can help there.

while you are waiting i suggest you get DDNS working. start with first trying to access your router. then assign static ip to a local computer (you will be configuring your Apex to use a static ip) and configure port forwarding. test to see if you can access this machine. if you can, then put your repurposed router into the mix. if you can reach your test machine from outside, then you are done and putting the Apex in place will be cake.

I'll kind of give you a rundown:

Apex Settings:
(Network settings tab)

Disable DHCP

Aquacontroller address: 192.168.1.50

Netmask 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.254

DNS: 192.168.1.254

Secondary DNS: 192.168.1.254

HTTP Port: 8080

DD-WRT Settings

I have my dd-wrt set to 192.168.1.150 (client bridge mode, note you cannot do DDNS from this router!)

In the wireless security settings on the dd-wrt route, set the l/p to the 2wire's l/p and authentication method .

Those are literally the only things i did to a fresh reset of the dd-wrt router.

2Wire RG settings:

(settings)(firewall)(applcations, pinholes and DMZ)

then click "add a new user application" under "applications list"

application profile name: apex

protocol: tcp

port: 8080 to 8080

protocol timeout (black)

map to host port 192.168.1.50

application type: blank

click "add to list)

I don't know if UDP is necessary, but i repeated the above process above with "UDP" before i went back to the previous page.

After you click "back" and are back on the "applications" tab, in the text box, type in 192.168.1.50 (or whatever your apex IP is) and click choose.

Scroll down on the applications list until you find "apex", click save.

DDNS

I don't think you can do DDNS through the RG, so I have an app on my computer that I run on startup to update the IP. This may be redundant, because I haven't seen my IP change in 6+ months. I use http://freedns.afraid.org/.

Then what I do from my Aquanotes app on my phone and type in my DDNS address AND the port forwarded. e.g. victoly.crabdance.com:8080 to access my apex remotely.

whew, i need a beer.

BOOM, you're in (unless i've forgotten something, which i probably have)

Good idea to set up remote access to a PC before hand. I'll use my new home server i just got. i actually need to set that one up for this anyway because i want to be able to access my home server from outside.

Victoly, are you using your own domain? I have a website i would like to integrate this into. and my memory sucks so i dont want to have to remember another one too. its the integration with my own domain and MX servers etc that I dont want to screw up.

I used GoDaddy for my domain registration, 000webhost.com for my hosting, google apps for my email.

I have a buddy that can help me with the web specific stuff but he isnt a fish guy so if i can find someone who can help with the whole thing that would be helpful.

I have read through all 140 pages of the comprehensive guide. and its very helpful as far as port fwd'ing and the DDNS stuff.

Another question: the Apex jr doesnt have the I/O port on it, and somewhere i read that its not compatible with the BreakoutBox. if I get the pH module it has the I/O port can i then use the Breakout Box?

Thanks for all the help.

are you hosting the servers on your own computer (ie at your home IP address) ? if not, it seems wasteful to pay for something that is free. once you have that setup, you can integrate into your website via xml or using the banner that some of us arc apexers have.

also, i believe that apex jr is compatible with the breakout, the old aquacontroller jr is not.

I am not yet hosting my site on my own server as the server is brand spankin new (to me). Ask me how I got it another time. Just installed the os yesterday. But need to upgrade it to windows 8. It came with vista.

My current webhost is free (you get what you pay for) and I am looking for another option. So hosting it myself is something im interested in but at this point its something I dont know if I am ready for.

There is no "hosting" of for the DDNS per se. It just redirects a typed web address "www.arc.com" to an IP address. Unless you plan on just using your domain for your apex, it seems like a waste of the domain for something you can have for free. Maybe i'm missing something.

So I own theencode.net. I can set up apex.theencode.net for the apex. Thats the idea I wasnt able to figure out. I can also use other subdomains for other devices I want access to outside of my home network. That works for me. Now just need to figure out how. That is where Google is my friend. I think I know what I am doing today.

Thanks for all the help guys. Ill definitely let you know when it comes in.

I've been huffing paint fumes all week long. that makes total sense. also, upgrade your firmware before you install.

http://www.neptunesystems.com/firmware-update-version-4-20/http://www.neptunesystems.com/firmware-update-version-4-20/http://www.neptunesystems.com/firmware-update-version-4-20/

Yeah you do it on afraid.freedns.com

For free you get subdomain pay and you get domain lol

You don't have to use the whole domain just do a sub domain subdomain.domain.com

This I am having trouble doing. I have subdomains available through GoDaddy, but how do I use them with FreeDNS.

I've been huffing paint fumes all week long. that makes total sense. also, upgrade your firmware before you install.

http://www.neptunesystems.com/firmware-update-version-4-20/http://www.neptunesystems.com/firmware-update-version-4-20/http://www.neptunesystems.com/firmware-update-version-4-20/

Yeah you do it on afraid.freedns.com

For free you get subdomain pay and you get domain lol

Which part am i doing on freedns?

I downloaded the client. but im kinda lost as to what to do next.

Archived