what is this?

Fj mike

I added a small thing of zoa's last week and now i am seeing two different things growing on the frag. One i think is a different colored zoa. the other ones, i have no clue about. they are growing on the right side of the disc. Could they be tiny aptasias? thanks for any help.

mike

post-3033-0-43323000-1355150875_thumb.jp

well i would like to try and keep them if they are anything good. but i didnt want the zoas on all my rocks, so i was gonna keep it on the disc. I also dont want multiple color zoas on one rock. should i just break the disc and let them grow seperately? here is a different angle as well, if it helps

post-3033-0-48850300-1355153537_thumb.jp

Thanks for the fast responses! im impressed. no i didnt dip it before i put it in the tank. what would I dip them in? sorry im fairly new to this. I didnt know they could reattach elsewhere. the rocks in my tank are a little big for the tank and It probably wouldnt be easy to remove them to control the spread. thats why i was trying to keep the zoas on the sand bed.

there are many different methods for dipping, so you're probably best off doing a little bit of searching around and then coming back with pros/cons for a certain method. Personally i use coralrx for bugs/worms, and then a hydrogen peroxide dip for zoas to get rid of algae

You should always dip your corals before putting them in your tank. I'm sure there are better articles out there but here is why http://blog.aquanerd.com/2009/06/dip-your-corals-guide-to-avoiding.html

As far as what you can use I would do a hydrogen dip http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/12533

For pest it may be but for any type of nuisance algae it's not. When I did a peroxide did everything reacted to it badly for about 30 minutes then opened up. LPS such as frogspawn are more sensitive to peroxide so I would at least dip the plug. For the zoa you can dip the whole thing or you can spot treat the area with a syringe.

well i dipped it in a hydrogen peroxide mix. it cleaned up pretty good. one did turn a little brown. ill give it time and see what happens. ill definitely dip anything else i add. i dont remember the name, but I got the zoa from a little fish store in killeen. Im not sure what else they had in the tank. im pretty new to all this, so i could only identify the zoas. there were a few other kinds, but the tank was pretty empty.

I'm more inclined to believe that small hitch hiker is the beginning of a majano anemome. The lack of definition on the 'fingers' doesn't look like clove polyps. Clove polyps have more of a feathery appearance on their fingers.

I'm more inclined to believe that small hitch hiker is the beginning of a majano anemome. The lack of definition on the 'fingers' doesn't look like clove polyps. Clove polyps have more of a feathery appearance on their fingers.

I agree this looks like the start of a majano. I had a tiny majano in my tank right next to some pipe organ corals. I never noticed it until it started getting a bit green, but before that it looked like just another pipe organ polyp beginning to grow.

im keeping my eye on them. However i dont really know what to look for. I did notice that with just my actinics on, the very tips glow green, and all three are connected at the base by the same purple footing. is this similar to a majano?

Since the dips I've seen are supposed to be corallimorph safe, including anemones, I doubt the majano hitchhikers would've been prevented. Anyone gotten rid of majanos, and how did you do it? This article mentions kalk paste (and has a picture of one next to Xenia).

im keeping my eye on them. However i dont really know what to look for. I did notice that with just my actinics on, the very tips glow green, and all three are connected at the base by the same purple footing. is this similar to a majano?

out of all the mojano I've seen I've never seen all of them connected at the same base.

not saying it cant happen just never seen it. They always had diffrent feet when i saw them.

Archived