Clownfish breeding build thread - first go at it

Mr Cob

is it going to be set up to "dose" your tank with rotifers?
It's close enough to do so but I probably will not, only because I do not want the rotifer water going into the system.

Looks good. Your gonna have a ton of fish soon.

Thanks bige, I can't wait : )I decided it was probably time to hook the RO/DI up. It's a 150g/day system with fresh reservoir up top and salt mixing station down bottom... both with float switches.post-1834-138185389966_thumb.jpgSent from my HTC VIVID using Tapatalk

Goldflake pair put down their first nest tonight. The video shows the start of the nest inside the pot towards the top back. It took her an hour to lay the entire nest down, it's easily 2k eggs in comparing to a regular layer that we have which lays 800-1k eggs and this nest is over twice the size of their normal nest.

Can't wait to get some goldflakes!

• Like 1

So, this month equals one year since we jumped into clownfish breeding. Hands down this has been the most trying yet rewarding experience.

It's been a long last year and I/we have learned a lot in the process. Thank you to all that have helped out along the way and for the support.

Here's an update on the fish we are working with...

1) Onyx (wild caught) x Premium Onyx Picasso SPAWNING = Onyx Picassos
2) Phantom black snowflake (Sea and Reef) x Buckshot black snowflake (Proaquatix) (have not spawned) = Black Snowflakes
3) Onyx (wild caught) x Premium Snowflake with serious buckshot (SA) SPAWNING = Snow Onyx hybrids
4) White Stripe Maroon x Goldflake maroon SPAWNING = Goldflake maroons (the female will eventually be used for another project we have in mind and pair #7 will be our goldflake producer)
5) Snow Onyx x Premium Picasso (known spawner female) = hybrids (i think these will make black knights)
6) Black Ice x Black Ice (spawners not in cycle) = Black Ice
7) Gold Stripe Maroon x Goldflake Maroon (known spawners) = Goldflakes maroons

We have some cool patterns in this group and some more #4 Onyx Picassos (2 of them) :)

10475836354_157357688f_z.jpg

10475833834_a88678a2fd_z.jpg

10475818155_20d04d80f2_z.jpg

10475832416_ded7bc3aba_z.jpg

The Snow Onyx hybrids are the ones with snowflake type white bars and the Onyx Picassos (A. percula) are the ones with clean lined white bars. The hybrids also have more of a rounded body shape like an onion almost. Just an observation.

cool.

i've been wondering, how's little e, 4h and th?

Thanks, unfortunately they were part of the heater malfunctioning update awhile back. Was very sad to have lost them and many other little troopers. Have since implemented ReefKeepers to prevent that from happening again.

cool.

i've been wondering, how's little e, 4h and th?

Thanks, unfortunately they were part of the heater malfunctioning update awhile back. Was very sad to have lost them and many other little troopers. Have since implemented ReefKeepers to prevent that from happening again.

bummer. i was afraid something bad happened to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out some of the babies in growout... you can see Snow Onyx and Onyx Picasso clownfish babies in this vid. Two of the onyx Picassos have the #4 on them and one onyx Picasso has the letter "t" on one side and the #7 on the other...calling him "t7".

• 2 weeks later...

Have another update on the white stripe maroon and goldflake maroon pair...

Spawn #3 (she began laying around 6-6:30pm and finished around 7-7:30pm, takes her about an hour to do the whole process, I always see her ovipositor the evening she lays)

After the spawn the male stayed in the pot unlike the first two nests. Hoping they all get fertilized and make it to hatch but I'm not really expecting that until the 6th or so nest. We shall see.