Clownfish breeding build thread - first go at it

Mr Cob

Took a vid and some pics of some of the clownfish in growout. Also added some fake plants to a few of the stalls to possibly help acclimate the fish to coral for future reef systems.

Vid...

Some pics...

11177984936_53b50c157d_b.jpg

11178353684_4de063ee7a_c.jpg

11178350184_113d352694_c.jpg

Here's what the Wild Caught Onyx A. percula and SA Premium snowflake A. ocellaris are producing...

The breeder spawning pair:

Snow Onyx (some nice premiums too, the premiums are the ones with connecting bars, they are also producing regulars and then regular hybrids without snow onyx markings)

The babies...
11335304433_b0a25a3829_c.jpg

11335174035_83e76030f0_c.jpg

11335247296_2d34c9d329_c.jpg

There are some in other clutches that have the buckshot pattern like the father but we couldn't catch any pics. Really anxious to see how their patterns continue to develop.
  • Like 1

Pleased to say that the Onyx and Onyx Picasso pair are back from their little break and in cycle again. smile.png

Was able to capture a great video of them laying lastnight (12/12/2013). You can see the female's ovipositor extruded and eggs coming out of the tube. The male is following along doing his thing fertilizing the eggs.

Watch in HD for the best detail.

• 3 weeks later...

So... I ended up purchasing Allan's clownfish pair from his recent tank tear down.

A little history on this pair (skip to the vid down below if you don't care to read the story)... the female was technically the first clownfish I was able to spawn after I started bringing fish in to breed. I originally paired her up with my darwin male which was from the first pair in this thread which kicked all of this off (the female darwin died). After a couple of months I sold the female snowflake and male darwin pair to another local breeder (really I was ready to call it quits). They were hiding all the time and became aggressive, obviously signs that they were up to something but I was a NEWB... needless to say she dropped a nest the next day after I sold them. Agh!

It was a bone headed move on my part but it gave me the encouragement that I needed to keep pressing forward. Just the fact that a pair "did it", was enough for me. I also learned a little about patience.

Ok... so after that, I made that female snowflake my avatar on the forums. A few months pass and I ordered some fish for Allan, we did a couple of rounds and he ended up with the blacker ice male you see in the vid below. I had no idea that he was also the new owner of the female snowflake shortly after (the one in my avatar for the last year, lol).

Fast forward to this past week and I see Allan is selling a pair, he shoots me some pics and I almost immediately recognize the female as my old female and my avatar! lol

I'm happy...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This pair that i recently brought in just put down a baby nest 2 days ago. The female was one of the first females we started with over a year and a half ago, so it was nice to get her back recently :). The male fertilized the eggs too and they were dark today :)

13481534533_78b3c45c15_c.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is a big thread, and while I've skimmed the pics in it for a while since I first saw it I haven't read all 16 pages so forgive me if this is covered. Question:

What do you do with all those clowns? Surely there isn't a heavy enough population of reefers in the area to keep up with supply levels. Do you also ship them out and or supply them to LFS in the area? I just can't imagine what to do with hundreds and hundreds of baby clowns all the time

That's a good question Bpb! It's kind of hard to part with them, especially after putting so much time and effort into their care and growout.

Most of them get shipped out of state.

I do want to keep this thread "non advertising" since it is not in my sponsor forum. I wanted this thread to be available to all of ARC to help others wanting or trying to breed. I have made a lot of mistakes along the way and have also learned a lot over the last 2 years (almost 2 years).

:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Oh fair enough! I'm set for stock so wasn't so much of a purchasing inquiry, just curiosity as to what you do with them lol. Didn't know if you actually sold them or had a massive 700 gallon clown harem tank for once they grow up

Hey Bpb I did not think you were trying to purchase from me but if I gave details of what I do with the fish it would appear as advertising and the thread would probably get moved to my sponsor forum.

I was just making sure the mods know my intent in this thread is not to advertise sales but more as a source for information.

Hi Brian, that's cool that he was there. I see a lot from Matt on MBI (Marine Breeding Initiative) which is where I started to log some of my pairs.

Sent from my Samsung note3 using Tapatalk.

Here is one of the few onyx picasso juveniles I have in growout right now. The parents stopped laying in December of 2013 and started up again May 1st 2014 and they layed their 2nd consecutive nest yesterday 05/18/2014. I plan to start pulling their nests again.

They really produce some very unique picassos that are very dark (ie onyx).

4erejuge.jpg

u7e2enaj.jpg

unuzyhus.jpg

• Like 1

Here are a couple shots of the wild caught White Stripe maroon from PNG and the S&R Morse Code F1 (1st generation) with wild caught morse code parents from PNG.

I'm really loving the PNG fish. They look much different than my other gold and white stripe maroons. They appear to be shaped like a football and are more narrow than the other maroons I have and have seen. Their orange is very vibrant as well.

epahupyg.jpg

aby7u8ys.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So while searching for a mate for our goldflake maroon I found this absolutely jaw dropping fancy snowflake at Alpha Aquaculture and had to get him. He will replace the black snowflake that we paired up with the new onyx female spawner (the female just wasn't taking to him):

This fancy premium snowflake is bred by SA9330175181_1d8e348b92_c.jpgsmile.png

So you're the one who bought that clown! I would love to see it paired with the black snowflake. Still hoping for a "black swiss" clown/ buckshot black snowflake. I've finally got ahold of a black snowflake. I just had to wait a few months for ORA to release them! Picked it up from petco for $99.

Right now I'm looking for a frozen frostbite or black swiss clown to pair with it.

The breeder tank I bought ended up accumulating reef fish somehow... and live rock... and shrimp..... whistle.gif

But not to worry, my mom's old 30g koi tank is in the garage just waiting for the perfect pair.

Sorry its been a while since I caught up with this thread. Classes have kept me very busy. Its great to see you're expanding-- interesting idea with the closet.

Here's an update on the fish we are working with...

2) Phantom black snowflake (Sea and Reef) x Buckshot black snowflake (Proaquatix) (have not spawned) = Black Snowflakes

Really excited about this pair. Haven't read to the end of the forum yet, but do you have pics of them? Any spawn yet?

Found the video. Female is stunning, love her solid black face and slightly jagged white. The male's white shape and his shotgun markings are cool, but too bad about the orange face. I bet their babies will be perfect though! Great combination!

Edited by ChaosFyre

Fast forward to this past week and I see Allan is selling a pair, he shoots me some pics and I almost immediately recognize the female as my old female and my avatar! lol

I'm happy...

That premium blacker Ice male is amazing! Would love to see him crossed with some black swiss / shotgun black snowflakes. Need some pinholes in all that white!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update Fyre. Yes...I got that snowflake dude! Kris at Alpha Aquaculture was extremely helpful in finding the perfect fish for me. I also picked up a gold flag maroon but didn't keep it long.

Here's one I haven't posted about yet...

PNG FO (wild caught) White Stripe maroon female