New 46 Gallon Reef Tank

esacjack

Oh and after addressing the flaky ground issue, the temperatures of the fixtures bottomed out. Instead of the two fans running full speed all the time, they now move at 10% speed. Fixtures are barely warm to the touch, drivers are luke warm after 8 hours of lighting.

Actually you did help me out, just not in a way you would think... When you said "Switch the cables around" it triggered a memory, that I had previously swapped channels to test the drivers. I went back to the control board to switch them back, and thats when I noticed the shared ground... So yes, Thanks! biggrin.png

funny, but that's one of my super powers. i will say something nonsensical (usually in an attempt to be funny) and it triggers some brainstorm. of course, it's a little rough when it turns into "do you mean wah wah whem whoo whew"... and i just stare blankly back at them "ummm, i said cuss it out, not buss it out".

but hey, glad i helped. and you didn't even have to see my in my tights and cape.

• Like 2

I really feel like Neptune needs to take advantage of this multidriver movement, and put out a full 4 channels per VDM port for a total of 8 channels. Hell, a 3rd port sans VDM expansion box would be amazing.

It will likely be an upgrade. It may even be in their planning/development cycle at this point. I know the stormX can do 16 independent channels of PWM. The dim4 can do obviously, 4.

They're alive! And bright as hell!

This is at 25%

post-2969-0-66521500-1386899160_thumb.jp

This is at 100%

post-2969-0-25241900-1386899207_thumb.jp

Only thing left to do is program the timers! Then its time to mount it to stand or wall (haven't decided yet). After which, it'll be time to get my rock stacked and epoxied the way I want it, then its time to get her wet!

The live rock for the tank has been curing under 2x39w T5's and 3600GPH for the last 15 months. Needless to say, it has pretty decent coraline coverage.

yeah most likely. Right now I have it running a burn in cycle. Im ramping it up and down every 6 hours to see what breaks first (if anything) over the next 24 hours. My wife said when she arrived at the house, she could see the crisp blue light from the street. She knew what it was from instantly.

Well she's been up and running for 48 hours. So far no leaks! Timers have been set on the Typhon. The sunrise/sunset ramp is pretty awesome. Super smooth, and not noticeable. Timer specifics later.. for now.. pics!

About an hour after adding water and starting pumps/skimmer.

post-2969-0-81373900-1387096527_thumb.jp

I opted to swap out the mag18 for an eheim pump. The tank is extremely quiet. The sound of the fans on the lights is basically all you hear. There's a pleasant trickling water sound as well, but no gurgling or slushing noises. The sump is very quiet, and the addition of the sound dampening material helped incredibly!

This is 48 hours later at 50%

post-2969-0-58386900-1387096639_thumb.jp

This is 48 hours later, at the current settings. (W12 - RB20 - V15 - RGUV12)

post-2969-0-92290800-1387096538_thumb.jp

Impressive tank build. Very detailed documentation on the communication buses at your modums.

I have found the background trickle of water to be a zen moment. Congratulations on designing out the problem.

Patrick

So I'm almost done with the tank. I still need to plumb in the ATO and clean up some wiring. Aside from that, the tank is pretty much finished. Took a blurry shot of the tank this morning. Painted the aluminum tank mount black, and created some inserts to make the fixtures look black. I really like it. It's very stealthy. Also installed the RK and setup the timers. Today I bought some quieter fans. Sadly, they only had them in the clear acrylic look. The current fans can be dialed back quite a bit under heavy load. I figured I'd cut back to a 27cfm fan with 17dba. Should be a little easier on the ears. Next upgrade I think I'm going to work with some thermal controllers for speed control. I already have a lot of the sensors and relays lying around, may as well use them.

In other news... We have diatoms! Which means the sand will look like a snot rag by Christmas dinner. Splendid!

post-2969-0-89118200-1387757494_thumb.jp