Greetings from Round Rock

Deinonych

Hello all,

I've been gathering information for the past 6 months on starting a reef tank and am about to start my journey soon. Thought I could use some local advice to supplement my knowledge, and stumbled across this site. My plan is to start a 105G FOWLR tank (with sump/refugium) in the next month or so and eventually move to coral. Look forward to learning from everyone here!

Chris

Howdy and welcome! 105g is a nice size tank, just keep in mind that your fish choices will limit some of what you can do with corals later. There are many online fish-compatibility guides. Watch for the term "reef-safe" when considering what fish you get.

Welcome. My recommendation would be, that if you plan to eventually become a reef, base all decisions off of what your desired endpoint is, and not what your short term goals are. You're off to a good start with a refugium and sump, but there will be other pieces to the puzzle that will help you build a successful reef. In my experience, if you can master these before you heavily stock your tank with corals, you'll have many less headaches in the long run.

Howdy and welcome! 105g is a nice size tank, just keep in mind that your fish choices will limit some of what you can do with corals later. There are many online fish-compatibility guides. Watch for the term "reef-safe" when considering what fish you get.

Thanks! Great advice about stock considerations. I'm considering only reef-safe fish for my stocking list:

Kole's Tang

Pinktail Triggerfish

Percula Clownfish (pair)

Bartlett's Anthias

Royal Gramma

Firefish (pair)

Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish

Filamented Flasher Wrasse

I know the trigger is borderline reef-safe, but I just have to have one. :)

Beautiful list of fish, the only two on there to be careful with are the Pinktail Trigger and Butterflyfish. There are numerous stories of them working out fine but they are both in the "iffy" category. The temptation is definitely there though, I'm looking at a pair of blue-throat triggers for my new tank because I love the fish so much.

Beautiful list of fish, the only two on there to be careful with are the Pinktail Trigger and Butterflyfish. There are numerous stories of them working out fine but they are both in the "iffy" category. The temptation is definitely there though, I'm looking at a pair of blue-throat triggers for my new tank because I love the fish so much.

We've seen pinktails while snorkeling in Hawai'i, and I'm absolutely in love with them. I plan to add it last. Same goes with the butterflyfish, but I'm not 100% set on adding it. I really wanted a Raccoon Butterflyfish (again, from Hawai'i experience), but there's no way I'd be able to keep it with corals, sadly.

Welcome.

Personally, I would say you're pushing it on that trigger, size-wise, as they get to about 15". I think most people shoot for 250+ gallons with larger triggers. Also the anthias may need feeding more that you are wanting to do. Not a major issue but keep in mind they need like 3 or more feedings per day due to their high metabolism.

Welcome.

Also the anthias may need feeding more that you are wanting to do. Not a major issue but keep in mind they need like 3 or more feedings per day due to their high metabolism.

Great, thanks for the advice. You might be right on that one; will give it some more thought before making a final decision.