turf algae eater?

lewisweil

The reef tank in the biology building at TAMU has turf algae problem that they just can't seem to snap. I've been sending them advice and equipment to help keep their phosphate and nitrates down and try to stop the problem. But I think they are going to need an animal to do some of the work for them. It is 125gal. Tank has been up for more than 10 years. Metal halides. Small refugium. Sand bed, skimmer and tons of live rock.

Do y'all know a fish that reliably eats green turf algae? I think if they can fight it from both directions, get ride of what's there and keep it from coming back they can get it looking better and let the coralline fill in.

Do they know what algae species their turf algae actually is? I think it's an ambiguous description for several types of algae.

No, is there a good online reference? I would recognize it.

I find that it's best to hand pick as much algae as you can first then clean return pump and skimmer and anything else that could cause growth.

They've done that in the past. But the kid taking care of it is hourly and I think the time it would take to have them do it is out of the budget. That's why I'm trying to find a fish or something to do the work for them.

golf ball size gulf hermits and grass shrimp collected out of the marsh... Crazy looking shrimp and one awesome algae cleaner.. I love my bunch of em.

pm sent!

Shotgun fish approach, I would probably try a foxface. I've seen them eat some pretty nasty stuff that many other herbivores wouldn't. I really think it will depend on the specific fish and the actual type of algae you have though.

I bought some live rock from someone shutting their tank down and it had quite a bit of turf algae. My hippo tang and coral beauty destroyed it. With the addition of a chevron tang, they keep my tank 100% spotless of any type of algae.

I would consider their light's age along with nutrient reduction. I think lanthium lathium for phosphate control is a good choice here, I would also look at the skimmers efficiency, if it is a 10 year old skimmer, it may be time to consider a new more efficient model such as the Reef Octopus super skimmer with the bubble blaster pump. A lot of the turf algae can also be beat down with the addition of mexican turbo snail's along with tuxedo type urchin's. It's hard to chose a fish that will reliably eat a certain type of algae, they all have different personalities and even though they eat one type of algae in one system, that doesn't necessary mean they will eat them in another system. If this system has had a high level of sustained level's of phosphates then the LR most likely has absorbed it and it is leaching back out feeding the algae. If the LR is good quality there doesn't need to be a ton in there, I would even think about bleaching and acid washing small quantities at a time and open up the rockwork to facilitate better flow and lessen areas for detritus/gunk to settle. Turf algae is a tough character and can live with relatively low level's of fuel ime.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Do you use lanthanum ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used it in the holding tank I still have setup, I only suggest method's that I have personally tried and was very reluctant to initially try this stuff. I mix a very weak solution and drip very small amounts to my skimmer body(small like 1-2ml). I initially bought water from a local store, after measuring for phosphates with the hanna, I acquired another ro/di unit just for the apartment. While phosphate addition via quality food sources is still not very low, that can be quite magnified over a 10yr period, especially if lower quality flake food's etc., have been used in this tank. It would be nice to have a bit more history on the tank such as water source, food's used, MH light brand along with changout schedule, skimmer brand/type etc., etc.

Cheers,

I've used lanthanum chloride on many occasions with everything from softies to clams, never had a bad reaction, seems to be most effective getting rid of gha and cyano. For me its always been a use only as needed type thing, used with manual removal and reducing nutrients added to tank. If you use it make sure it doesn't have any detergents or anything extra, those bottles say "plus" our something similar on them. You want the plain lanthanum chloride

duh! I need to get them in touch with John and have reefcleaners build an turf algae assault team. It is just like the turf on that guide.

Thanks y'all. I'm learning a lot in this thread. They tried a foxface and he isn't helping. Personality of that fish. They have had some luck with urchins, but its a big tank and that would be a bunch of urchins. Which it might come down to.

duh! I need to get them in touch with John and have reefcleaners build an turf algae assault team. It is just like the turf on that guide.

Thanks y'all. I'm learning a lot in this thread. They tried a foxface and he isn't helping. Personality of that fish. They have had some luck with urchins, but its a big tank and that would be a bunch of urchins. Which it might come down to.

I brought in some of the red turf algae on a frag plug once, that stuff started spreading relatively quick even in a lower nutrient tank. This was a 130G tank and I put in two urchin's and 10 mexican turbo's, after a week or so you could see them making progress as more rock was uncovered. You really need something that can "scrape" off the algae from the surface, turbo's and urchin's have rasping type mouths that just work great on turf type algae's. Still gotta find the source because that stuff could possibly grow back if a tiny bit is missed or if you don't have enough critters to mow it down faster than it can regrow. YMMV

Cheers,

• Like 1

My vote is atlantic green urchins and sally lightfoot crabs. Both are pretty aggressive at scraping the rock. I would consider romoving some of the worst pieces of rock if there is nothing desirable on them. I would also start adding some fast growing corals that would start to choke some of it out.

I used to help take care of that tank In the late 90s. It is what got me into reefing. Good to hear it is still setup. I hope you can get rid of the algae. I've had good luck with LaCl and taking out the rock to bleach it. I may try and run by tomorrow as I'm in college station to check it out. Let me know if you are around.

Woah. We'll have to have a reunion. Say hi to Duncan for me! I have probably heard stories about you.

I'll definitely be going b/cs more often. They haven't had a dedicated person on it for awhile. The new person has some work to do!

Woah. We'll have to have a reunion. Say hi to Duncan for me! I have probably heard stories about you.

I'll definitely be going b/cs more often. They haven't had a dedicated person on it for awhile. The new person has some work to do!

I wonder if the building will be open today. I'd like to go see how it is setup. Let me know if you need any help. I'd offer some time to get it back in shape. Just let me know.