biopellet horror stories

victoly

I think the biggest, most common mistake with biopellets is removing too many nutrients too quickly.

If I were to use biopellets, I'd go with the Reef Dynamics biopellet reactor....much more control built into the design.

The issue with any ULNS is making sure to not starve your coral. As long as you feed your fish daily, you'll be fine. I've never had an issue. But if you have a High Nutrient System and bring them down too fast, it can definitly be bad. Any sudden change is bad.

I got cyano when I first started using about 1 year ago but then after dosing a bacteria source, it slowly went away. Like everyone said above, just make sure you feed your coral, don't let phosphate get too low, and add more and more biopellets slowly.

-Ty

Used bio pellets for 3 years now

tim can you tell us a little more about your setup/experience?

i got a dsa 190g tank and been running bio pellets for about 3 years now.

i like my biopellets it allows me for less maintance, (water changes)

I did get cyano w/ the biopellets and just used chemiclean to fix that but noticed if ran with a UV sterilizer I didnt get any.

One issue you need to know is biopellets will bring down nitrate but not as stong effect on phosphate. i run Rowaphos with mine and carbon also.

You do have to over feed if you do not you will start to get STN in SPS.

i've gotten great results with them and color. if you start to see your colors get pale add some amino acids in to the tank.

not sure what else you want me to say. feel free to ask me anything

Used bio pellets for 3 years now

tim can you tell us a little more about your setup/experience?

i got a dsa 190g tank and been running bio pellets for about 3 years now.

i like my biopellets it allows me for less maintance, (water changes)

I did get cyano w/ the biopellets and just used chemiclean to fix that but noticed if ran with a UV sterilizer I didnt get any.

One issue you need to know is biopellets will bring down nitrate but not as stong effect on phosphate. i run Rowaphos with mine and carbon also.

You do have to over feed if you do not you will start to get STN in SPS.

i've gotten great results with them and color. if you start to see your colors get pale add some amino acids in to the tank.

not sure what else you want me to say. feel free to ask me anything

just what I was after. What reactor do you use and how much media do you run at a given time? Do you tweak the flow, and if so how do you determine how much to restrict?

Mine tumble but not crazy but not slow . I use a 150 tlf reactor. As far as flow I have it T off from my return and I removed the bottom disk from the reactor and just have the long tube. In a reactor built for bio pellets it would take from 200 to 300 gph to tumpble like mine

+1

Also I only use half the recommended amount

I also overfeed as well and use aminos periodically. I modded my TLF 150 with parts from a silly putty ball from Target, which kept the pellets tumbling more consistently for me.

Yeah, removed the bottom disk, replaced it with the part from the silly putty (concave half of ball), then cut notches in the tubing (like a cross), added some tubing to extend the tube to touch the bottom, and presto, nice tumbling reactor mod for $4.

People have the same problems when starting out with GFO. They add some arbitrary amount without easing into it and their coral crash on them. If you look at all the biopellet problems, every one I've ever read was in the first day or week after adding the pellets, or their reactor broke, or something of that nature. Major changes on a reef tank should take place over the course of weeks or months, not hours or days.

If you start with too many pellets you run the risk of stripping the water too fast. Just start really slow. 1/4 the amount. Then test and add more slowly over time. I think the start up is the biggest risk.

Archived