Making a Jenkem reactor

(Bio)³

Has anyone made a Jenkem reactor? I heard these things are like fluidized sand beds and they just constantly dump nutriants into your tank.

Before I start trying to design one I was curious if anyone has made one?

Not sure if I should use a kalk stirrer or just an upflow reactor, thoughts?

Please explain the reason to dump nutriants into tank.

Fluidized sand bed is mostly used in intensive fish aquaculture to remove ammonium. With the use of nitrification bacteria, half of the nitrogen cycle remains, nitrate. Are you using this to fertilize phytoplankton and zooplankton generators?

For the complete nitrogen cycle, use a remote deep sand bed.

Patrick

Please explain the reason to dump nutriants into tank.

Fluidized sand bed is mostly used in intensive fish aquaculture to remove ammonium. With the use of nitrification bacteria, half of the nitrogen cycle remains, nitrate. Are you using this to fertilize phytoplankton and zooplankton generators?

For the complete nitrogen cycle, use a remote deep sand bed.

Patrick

Well I want to have a constant stream of nutriants to try and boost coral growth. I could definitely fertilize with this.

How deep does the sand bed need to be for this? I assume the deeper the better, but is there a general rule for minimum depth?

To accomplish the complet nitrogen cycle requires denitrification chemistry using facultative bacteria. These bacteria live in an oxygen reducing enviroment. Depending on the grain size determines the rate at which oxygen concentration is used up. This determines at what depth facultative and sulfide bacteria perform denitrification chemistry.

Using Caribsea Special Reef Grade aroggonite, I would use 2"-4" minimum.

On my Jaubert Plenumn, I use Caribsea Florida Crushed Coral at a 4"-6" minimum.

In my mud filters, I use .5"-1.0".

If you want to talk more about denitrification, start up a thread. I do not want to hijac Bio3 thread.

Patrick

How deep does the sand bed need to be for this? I assume the deeper the better, but is there a general rule for minimum depth?

To accomplish the complet nitrogen cycle requires denitrification chemistry using facultative bacteria. These bacteria live in an oxygen reducing enviroment. Depending on the grain size determines the rate at which oxygen concentration is used up. This determines at what depth facultative and sulfide bacteria perform denitrification chemistry.

Using Caribsea Special Reef Grade aroggonite, I would use 2"-4" minimum.

On my Jaubert Plenumn, I use Caribsea Florida Crushed Coral at a 4"-6" minimum.

In my mud filters, I use .5"-1.0".

If you want to talk more about denitrification, start up a thread. I do not want to hijac Bio3 thread.

Patrick

Yeah sorry about that Bio3, I was reading this and it was kinda stream of consciousness!

setting up a fish trap this weekend bio, that poor firefish hasn't come out since his original "introduction"

Let me know brother! I'm sure he will love to come into a tank that always has food dripping in ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived