I'm back!

aggieMEDIC

So I got bit by the bug again. I started keeping a reef tank back in late 2005 early 2006. I was very active in the dfwmas group, until I received a job offer down here in Austin in late 2006. When I first moved here I left my tank up in dallas with my parents. My dad took great care of it for a while but when I finally moved it down here nothing really survived the trip. I tried to get it back to the way it was but I just didn't have the time or money to spend.

I spent some time here on ARC for the first year or so and met some really cool people. I don't expect many to remember me after being gone so long, but I'm back.

So last weekend I went to my parents house and a Tanked marathon was on. Well the bug bit me and I can't make it go away. This time I think it bit my wife as well. She is now registered on here as flyingaggie02. We went to RCA and Aquadome today and made a few decisions. Water and sand went in tonight. Looking for a few cups of LS to help seed it. Also looking for some low priced if not free LR.

One ? though. Years ago I used some pulverized limestone made by pavestone for substrate but I just can't seem to find it anywhere now. Any ideas?

I'm starting with a 24g nanocube by JBJ. This was my first marine tank. I'm going with an open top and want to mount leds above. Its only 19" across so it won't take the traditional 24" setup. Looking for something in the 16-18" range. I like a lot of the pendant types but really either would work.

After I get my hands wet again I'm hoping to setup a 55g that I have kept in the attic for the last 6 years change the nano to a QT and add another 40g hex I have held onto for either sps or some horses.

I guess thats me in a nutshell. I can't wait to relearn everything I forgot as well as learn a lot of the stuff I never got a chance to.

Thanks for listening.

Rob Yarger

Sent from my hacked HP Touchpad running Android ICS using Tapatalk.

Rob/Nichole, if that is your child in the photo, you'll are a beautiful family.

Welcome to ARC, I moved to Austin 3 years ago to be near my two grandchildren and retire. It is a wonderful place. I have plenty of mature live sand. You can have a lb for free. I have more than thirty years of reefkeeping addiction. I recall an aroggonite playsand sold exclusively by Home Depot. No longer available. Many people unload old sand when they upgrade.

Considering that I graduated from The Texas Maritime Academy in 1974, I have been an Aggie for 40 years. Can you illuminate your user name?

La bonne temps roulee

While I cannot echo the aggie sentiment, always glad to have another reefer in the mix. Welcome back. I'd post something humorously derogatory about the aggies, but a certain moderator with a maroon glasses likes to edit with reckless abandon smile.png

gig+em.gif

I'm Victoly, and I approve this message.

Edited by mFrame (Mike)
image was missing ;)

Hey bimmerzs, I too remember you from dfwmas. I think we have met a few times before.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. It will be nice to put faces with names in the future. I may or may not be able t make it to the frag swap. I'll be arriving back home from a week of training courtesy of the federal govt after 1530 that day. We will see when I get home. My wife would like to go though assuming the tank is ready.

Speaking of...Any ideas for helping this first cycling go a little faster, I'm not as patient as I used to be. I got tired of staring at only sand in the tank so I found some rocks I had in a box labeled "fish stuff" and cleaned the old hydroid skeletons off them and dropped them in.

post-106-13491947255_thumb.jpg

I know its only been 48 hours but I'm getting impatient its been 6 years after all. Hopefully able to get my rock this weekend then I can really get started.

I'll start a build thread over in that section from here.

Sent from my hacked HP Touchpad running Android ICS using Tapatalk.