Harvest Live Sand, from our area of the golf?

SChrisEV

First of all, is it legal to collect sand from the Ocean for non-commercial use along our coast? Second what are your thoughts on if it would be a good idea or not to put in a reef tank. I'm working toward putting my tank together (working on a custom stand right now), and plan to have a sand bed both in the DT and in a refugium. In the past I bought live sand in the bags for my tank, I was younger, and dumber, so spending a lot of money on bags of live sand (for my then 130g tank) did not give me pause. I had great results. Now especially being on a budget, I'm looking for less expensive ways to get the same results with less expense. My family and I go to the coast a few times a year and we have a trip planned for the near future. The thought crossed my mind to bring back a, not all I'd want for my 92g tank, 5 gal bucket of "live sand". I'd plan to "cycle" the sand as I've done with live rock in the past. Hoping this would help "seed" some other sand I'd want to add.

I'm just looking for feedback, on this, has anyone here done this, experience etc. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Edited by SCEV

Chris,

I would not use inshore or near shore sand from the Texas Gulf Coast. Buy commercial dry sand, I use arrogonnite for buffering and trace elements. Get inoculated sand from experienced reefers with mature systems.

With respect to your sand beds in display and sump, have you thought about the size of substrate, depth of sand bed. Size of substrate determines biodiversity in sand bed. Depth of sandbed and substrate size determines if de-nitrification happens in sand bed.

Happy reefing,

Patrick

@Scutterborn what do you mean: "I'd reach for wedge"

@Timfish, agree 100% if it was established... given it is not, it does have me thinking.

Patrick, as far as the depth, my original plan was a DSB in the refuge, then reading, I thought maybe no sand there, but I am still leaning toward a 5-7 inch sand bed in the refuge. In the display tank I'm not sure I like the look of sand in a tank, when i did my 130g I think I followed the 1 lbs. per gal rule of thumb for sand, this was many years ago, not sure if that rule has changed. Any input here would be GREAT!

@victoly that is a concern for sure.

+1 to subsea. Personally, I would opt for dry special grade reef sand. It offers the best compromise between small grain and not getting blown around that I have found.

Just based on the chemicals that are found in near shore beaches, there's no way I would risk it in one of my tanks. Also, much of the texas beach sand is not argonite or crushed coral, it's more silica based which isn't ideal for a reef tank.

Trust me, UT has tested the sediment chemistry along much of the Gulf coast. You DONT want it in your tank. There are a lot of bacteria yes, however, not the kind that develop from a mature or healthy system. Also, ever wonder where oil from the gulf spill went? We're starting to find it in sediment all around the Gulf. Plus silicate sand causes insane diatom blooms.

It may sound like the cheapest, fastest way, but just stick to regular old reef sand.

Lol! I was jokingly referring to your spelling of "golf" instead of "gulf". On a serious note, Never would I consider taking local Texas beach sand and putting it in my tank. When you see pictures of Fiji and Bora Bora they don't have brown sand... Our beach sand is mixed heavily with silt flowing down the Mississippi River delta in Louisiana. It's got chemicals and who knows what else in there. I emphasize, "never would I put this sand in any of my tanks, nor would I ever recommend it to anyone for theirs." I was born in Corpus and have seen horrible things done that I wish never to be done again...

- Ben -

Edited by Scutterborn

Lol! I was jokingly referring to your spelling of "golf" instead of "gulf". On a serious note, Never would I consider taking local Texas beach sand and putting it in my tank. When you see pictures of Fiji and Bora Bora they don't have brown sand... Our beach sand is mixed heavily with silt flowing down the Mississippi River delta in Louisiana. It's got chemicals and who knows what else in there. I emphasize, "never would I put this sand in any of my tanks, nor would I ever recommend it to anyone for theirs." I was born in Corpus and have seen horrible things done that I wish never to be done again...

- Ben -

LOL I did not even notice that! Now to see if I can edit the title!

There are two excellant companies that harvest live sand and live rock in the Gulf of Mexico out from Tarpon Springs. I just did watch a utube video of the owner harvesting sand. Tampa Bay Saltwater leases are about 15 miles offshore. Live Florida Rock leases are located 35 miles in deeper water. Both have good rock and good reputations. The rock closer inshore has more biodiversity in macro. The rock in deeper water has more biodiversity in hard corals. This is the only way that live rock and coral can be collected on the US continental shelf.

Live sand caned be shipped same day for $2 per pound.

Patrick

• 4 months later...

I have concern with any sand I can reach on us territory without diving equip. If I can get to it, god only knows what else has.

I have concerns with any sand this guy has touched. If he's touched, dog only knows what it has now.

Yet you still asked me for some of my live sand that came out of the ocean 30 ft deep, for your pico ;)

Edited by (Bio)³