Looking for coral suggestions

KevinB

I've got a rock that is covered in red turf algae...and I've decided the easiest way to deal with it is to starve it out from the lighting.

The rock is more or less a football shape on its end, so it is a vertical piece.

What would you suggest to attach to the rock to grow over it and kill it off...

Since its a vertical rock, the light par ranges from about 400 to 100. I'm looking for a coral that can handle a variety of lighting conditions, so that it could take over the entire thing. I really like Palys because of their polyp size...not a big fan of the little zoo polyps.

I don't want to shade anything at the sand, so that rules out a monti shelf. I'm thinking of something that's more encrusting. I'd like something that grows fast, and I have some GSP I could use if need be, but that stuff is so invasive. Ideally, It's growth rate would be less than gsp, but still pretty fast. It would also have lots of color, especially under actinic light.

Thanks!

When you said lots of color, especially under actinics, you described GSP. I have some Xenia from the Red Sea that glows white and silver under actinics. I find it attractive, but I also find GSP attractive. The Waving Hand Anthenia is somewhat encrusting and grows as fast as GSP and Xenia. It has a blue/green tint on young polyps. It uses up a lot of tank volume as it grows. All three of these soft corals can get invasive if allowed to grow untended.

Good luck on yOur choice.

Patrick

Grim and bio, I've never seen a cyphastrea in person, do the glow under actinics? A web search says they like low lighting...are we talking purple death/ blastomussa low? Or more towards the middle?

i love them

post-2050-0-29544400-1347240487_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Indeed, I like palys too...but I'm having trouble finding info on one that can take higher lighting. My purple deaths love the shade, are there any that don't? Like I said, I really prefer the look of ppe and purple deaths/nuke greens with their dime sized polyps