Corals in the electric chair.

(Bio)³

Woke up this morning and every coral in my tank was shriveled up and not opening. I knew it was odd so I started checking water temps and parameters. Also noticed a slight different smell near my tank. I opened up the stand and looked at the sump. Two ten watt led panels powered by 1 ten watt driver had fallen into my sump.

I've ripped it out of the water and started mixing more salt water for a water change in an hour. Going to do 5 gallon W.C for the next few days to help pull out anything bad.

I can't think of anything else to do except wait to see how it all rebounds.

Can anyone suggest anything else to add in?

Does anyone have any insight as to how much it might kill out of my tank?

Just when I thought to myself how great everything is growing LOL

also, it was plugged into my neptune systemss and according to the time I found it and the time I know that light turns on it was in the tank for 3 hours 3 minutes tops, this is assuming that the light feel into the system before it turned on. If it fell in after it was on the it was less time thumbsdown.gif

Time to wait and see what all I loose, one ricordea mushroom is melting down the side of a rock and the clams are both half closed but respond to water movement from a turkey baster.

The mini maxi carpet seems to want to live but still unsure on everything.

All the small starfish were withering around before I unplugged it and now they seem to be retreating back to their holes.

ok so I have carbon running now, and just did a 10 gallon WC.

I tore the whole tank up and searched for my cucumber, he was all bunched up and not happy at all so I moved him to a safety tank. He is starting to crawl around so I think he will make it.

The fire shrimp bit the dust, poor fella was trying his best to hang on.

clams are moved into safety tank and still have reactions when slightly blowing water at them and their feet are sensitive still.

Seems like now time will tell, the smell is reminding me of a surgery I had when younger and making me sick, hoping the WC and carbon reduces the odor.

This might be the time I restart and do a 90 gallon like I want. or the time I reduce my fascinations and just keep a simple tank.

Tank is rebuilt, and running fish still seem like something is weird though.

Only a few polyps are opening any more, the clams act as if they have been burned and can no longer extend like they want to, 1 emerald crab has died.

Seems like I'll be loosing a lot of the next few days. This tank will become a coral garden with no fish and a 90 will go in its place when I find a good deal on one.

Live and learn, tank was just starting to look good to :(

Ya all because of the light fixture hit the sump water everything in the tank is getting the recourse.

With the fresh carbon running and 10 gallon water changes each day I'll see how this plays out, if it crashes then it crashes and I'll end up rebuilding over time.

Swapping out to fresh carbon today and doing another 10 gallon water change.

At least every colony has a few polyps open and more opening each day. I lost a couple hard corals which sucks but luckily they were small, my bigger piece from don duncan seems to be extending its polyps.

I thought for sure I had lost my fungia helmet but this morning I saw its tentacles out!!!! Nothing is opening to its full beauty like it used to but I'm hoping that with time it will strengthen back up.

Plants will absorb heavy metals. Macroalgae is a very effective way to remove trace doses of cooper. As with most things, cooper in minute concentrations is required in some metabolic processes. Polyfilter is always good to use because of the color change reading to indicate substances removed.

Sorry for your woes. I never did like the smell of electricity in the air. My next least favorite smell is hydrogen sulfide followed by bleach and ozone.

Patrick

x7 on the poly filter. its kinda expensive for filterbut works miracles and tells ya exactly what the problem is. im about to go put a tie wrap on my fuge light, its about 1/2'' about my fuge how scary

• 2 months later...

3 months after the accident, the burnt skin smell is gone from the water. However I have GHA growing like mad from all the die off within the rock. When I pull the algae off the rock it will release very minor amounts of dietrius, the algae and the water will then smell horrible like burnt skin. I'll then do a 10 gallon water change and run fresh carbon to clear the water back up.

In the beginning the algae would regrow very fast, now it is starting to slow down on regrowth.

With the new build im working on I'm going to take all coral frags off the rock and place them on a frag rack in the new tank. The rock I will move to buckets an let it grow algae and slowly recure itself naturally. I'll pull a rock out each week and swap it with the one loose rock on the new sandbed. This will provide algae for the yellow tang I'm going to purchase. I'm choosing to let it keep growing algae in buckets to pull all the death from within the rocks out. I also get to feed my grass shrimp with the rock.