ATO System

ckyuv

I have a 27gallon cube with a 5 gallon sump. Recently made sump into refugium where i added a 24hr cfl bulb as well as upgrading my lighting to kessil cannon. I have been having to top off alot lately. I want to add an ato system but duno anything about them. i was looking on marinedepot and saw this http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_Automatic_Top_Off_(A.T.O.)_System_Water_Level_Controller_Electric_Powered_Dosing_Pumps_Top_Off_Plug_In_Units-JBJ_Lighting-JB5111-FIDPETPU-vi.html

would i just add a jug of freshwater and be all set or would i be adding pumps? is this the best route?

You are on the right track but that monitor is a bit overkill.

Check out auto autotopoff.com

A top off system is great and much easier and more stable than topping off by hand. Essentially you have 3 parts. A freshwater reservoir, a pump and hose to move the freshwater to your sump and a float switch that turns the pump on when the water level in your sump drops(and off when it raises high enough).

A good goal is to get a reservoir large enough to hold about a weeks worth of evaporation. Depending on several variables in your house and the season you should need 4-10 gallons a week.

Good luck!

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vyks1x

The JBJ isn't a bad unit, but it doesn't include a pump. I've also read enough user reviews on forums for it to be suspect in long term reliability in my book.

The tunze oscmolator is a really good setup with a super small in-tank footprint. It includes the pump and 2 level sensors. Tunze is also coming out with a nano ATO for under $100, but it only includes a single level sensor. Elos and Spectrapure also make really good ATO's but are pricey like the Tunze. http://autotopoff.com/ has good ATO's for cheap. They're not quite as nice looking as some of the more refined commercial ones, but should work well. If you have a sump, the aesthetic benefit shouldn't have a whole lot of bearing. I would use a system with 2 level sensors for redundancy.

Now is the perfect time to get an apex or reef keeper to control your whole tank, they even do ATO. LOL

Seriously though if I didn't get my apex I was going to get an autotopoff.com ATO system

Now is the perfect time to get an apex or reef keeper to control your whole tank, they even do ATO. LOL

Seriously though if I didn't get my apex I was going to get an autotopoff.com ATO system

That was a question I've been meaning to ask, so I'm glad ckyuv started this thread.

I won't be able to afford a controller until about the middle of July, so I was wondering if I should get an ATO or wait because the Apex handles ATO functionality, too.

i wouldnpersonally wait but if you need ato that bad you can either build one yourself or resell yours whwn you get an apex

yes ckyuv you need pump and res

Are the pump and/or reservoir and/or float switches needed for any ATO system also needed for the Apex. I'm sure the answer is yes, but I don't want to assume. So no matter what, I need to buy those things, but does the Apex require specific pumps/switches? That way the OP or me can buy stuff that can be upgraded.

If you want a cheap ATO, just get a float valve and one of those 5g square water jugs for now. I want to build an acrylic cube for ATO that incorporates a pump, internal float switch(low level warning and manual pump kill) and the nice looking flange fit with thrumb screws. Right now just using a 5g reservoir thats gravity fed to a float valve. It drips to ATO. Also have a "sump_high" switch added in the event that the float sticks, it sends me txt msg and I can have the sig other or roommate shut off the manual valve.

+1 for the apex... a good controller is one of the best tank investments you can make imo... you can control an ATO, Ca reactor, lights, pumps, chiller, etc...

also +1 for autotopoff.com... paul is based here in austin now, so you can save on shipping and arrange for direct pickup...

yes, you would need a pump like the Aqua Lifter:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/pumps-and-plumbing/dosing-pumps-and-auto-top-off-systems/aqua-lifter-vacuum-pump-top-off-pump.html

and the float switch(es) as well as mounting bracket.

yes, you would need a pump like the Aqua Lifter:

http://www.bulkreefs...p-off-pump.html

and the float switch(es) as well as mounting bracket.

Currently I have two 5L Tupperware bins that I modified to drip kalkwasser. I can moderate the drip rate to prevent pH spikes. Can that be done with the pump or an additional ball valve, or will the pump just push a mass of water?

Anyone recommend reliable float switches?

If you used a very low gph pump, you could have it top off upstream in your sump so it would be diluted by the time it made it to the return pump. Float switch would be set near the return pump though since that is the lowest chamber level. Also, you would most likely have to use the DIFFER command in your programming to prevent and cycling due to water motion on the float switch. You can set the time down to 1 second(way too short lol) so it wouldnt be just a burst of ATO with KALK.

im too broke for a controller, my gf would kill me if i didnt take her out because i spent more money on the tank

LMAO

Fond memories of my wife(then girlfriend) and all those fun conversations of how much time and money I was spending on that $@#%^ glass box with fish in it!

Good luck to you, hope you fair better than I did! LOL

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mripsv

I'm using a JBJ ATO (going on 4 years with no problems), a Maxi-Jet 600, 4' of 3/4" pvc, 2 90's 1/2 hose barb & 2.5' of 1/2 tubing. A 10 gallon aquarium is used to hold the top off water. Couple of years ago I added an acrylic sliding cover to cut down on evap & dust.

Here are som pics:

gallery_251_46_246234.jpg

gallery_251_46_215687.jpggallery_251_46_173912.jpggallery_251_46_134987.jpg

Going to be building an apex breakout I/O box within a week to set up auto water changes and ATO, need to find a nice little storage cabinet to put next to my tank though since it is in the living room.

I just got a trigger systems sump and jbj ATO from mr cobbs. The ATO seems awesome! it hasent had to add water yet because my sump is huge for my tank but it makes me worry less so its worth it lol. Do yall add anything to your top off water? I just put one scoop of bio calcium in my 5g bucket of water thinking that should do it.

I use a simple gravity fed ato using an a acrylic tank, 1/4" John Guest valve and tubing, and an Eshopps float valve. I use this setup on both of my tanks, 150g, and 110g. It keeps it dead on, 0 fluctuation. If the valve sticks, it sticks in the off position. I only clean them once a year in vinegar due to sticking.

ato2.jpg

bce8feb0.jpg

I went cheap...gravity. 5 Gallon jug that sits in a stand on a shelf higher than the top of my sump. Ran a line to the sump on a float. Flip the top of the stand open to refill jug without having to remove jug.

ok so i got a jbj ato controller from mr cob about a month ago and im still having problems with it. the pump light will turn on when it needs to fill up but it wont activate the pump. if i unplug the ato and plug it back in then it supplys power to the pump but only after being reset. any ideas?

It has a fail-safe so that the pump will turn off after a certain amount of time. This is likely what is happening. This happens to me when I don't have enough water in my ATO reservoir - the pump will lack sufficient pressure to pump enough water before the fail-safe kicks in. Check the head pressure on the pump you're using.

i tried putting a rio in the ato bucket instead of the marineleand pump to test it while i was gone. still same problem. works fine plugged into reg socket but dont come on in ato socket

Archived