A Confession

JamesL

I have a confession to make.

As much as I rant about them ... I have come to secretly realize that I really do like them.

What am I talking about? No, not water changes (looks at Mark).

Damsels.

Yes, I said Damsels. Those bane-of-the-saltwater world fish.

Why? Because they are one of the few fish that are ulta-active in tanks. They love to explore every nook and cranny of my tank (I have 2 Talbot Damsels). I see them out and about all of the time. My two tangs hide quite a bit. And my sole skunk clown hangs in his section of the tank.

Granted, they are mean little snots, and have tried to bully fish many times their size. Though the tangs will put them in their place if needed. But they have nagged a jawfish to jump in the past, and harrased a swallowtail angel I used to have.

I would like to get them gone so I can add a more variety of small peaceful fish, but at this point I am resigned to them being the most active fish the time until the grim reaper comes for them.

I think damsels are really cool, and they look great when you have a bunch of them in different colors. I just draw the line when one terrorizes and tears up other fish. I have a pair of talboti and a pair of yellow tail blue damsels in my big tank, even though they're real small they still add lots of activity, and imo the colors especially if the talboti are stunning. I love the little blue green chromis colors and will prob pick up a pair of those soon.

Have you looked into some of the wrasses? Despite some people saying six lines are too aggressive, both of mine are wonderful and very interesting to watch. There are several species that are active and won't eat corals or other fish :)

I actually love 6 lines, and have never had problems with them. I need to add another one to my tank again. The last one I got was ultra-fresh from the ocean and I think brought in something that took out my swallowtail angel.

I give wrasses another vote as well for active great fish. I now have 7 wrasses (6 various fairy and 1 Mystery) in my 180g and love them. They are active and do not pick on other fish. If adding multiple, you need to be careful on order of introduction but I am a true wrasse enthusiast!

I am fond of Yellow Tail Damsels. They stay small and a group of 4 - 6 is interesting and eye catching as they are always getting in each others business, and they usually are to small and to busy with themselves to cause undo harasment issues. What I think should be illegal are domino damsels and Neoglyphidon sp. damsels. Cute when small but they get the size of medium/large tangs and are VERY agressive and not very pretty.

Tim, I have 50 yellow tail damsels swimming in my 75G seaweed growout tank. The blue is brilliant iridescant under this 6500K 1000W MH. With the Vertical Loop Current carrying Red Ogo they scoot about eating pods. These little damsels are some kind of quick acrobat, a loop here and there. I was very pleased with the behavior of five Lyretail Sailfin Mollies that I bought in fresh water and adjusted to full strength salt in two hours. Four out of five were feeding immmediately. Today, all five are darting amongst the damsels and seaweed. At less than $2.5 these fish are active herbivores and reproduce prolifically with live offspring require no larval developement required. I am having to deal with micro algae along with the accelerated growth of the macro algae.

James, I like damsels also.

Are ladies in distress refered to anymore as "damels in distress". I am for being inclusive with these likes and confessions.

Patrick