What do you dose for calcium for your SPS?

wesreyn

I was dosing Seachem Reef Complete for over a year, but I just switched over to BRS Calcium Chloride about 10 days ago.

The Seachem Reef Complete was just getting too expensive given my tank's calcium requirements...about 2L/month ($30+). The BRS Calcium Chloride, by comparison, is $18 for 1 gallon (7 lbs bulk powder) and should last me several months.

I dose BRS's alk and calcium bulk mix. Both are dosed via dosing pumps controlled by my control. I dose calcium 5 times a day and alk 8 times a day to minimize pH shifts, both in very small quantities. Corals have shown a marked improvement since implementing this dosing regime in the last couple of months. I also like this set up because it is easy to maintain the exact levels I want by changing the dosing amount or frequency of either product.

I dose BRS's alk and calcium bulk mix. Both are dosed via dosing pumps controlled by my control. I dose calcium 5 times a day and alk 8 times a day to minimize pH shifts, both in very small quantities. Corals have shown a marked improvement since implementing this dosing regime in the last couple of months. I also like this set up because it is easy to maintain the exact levels I want by changing the dosing amount or frequency of either product.

I will get dosing pumps eventually but for now I am looking for something to get started with and just pour in.

I'm in the same boat Wesreyn. I bought the BRS 2-part and manually dose for now. I do it weekly. It's worked so well in fact since I haven't had any ill effects on coral with the larger doses weekly versus daily that I may not ever add the dosing pumps. I know we are all trying to have as stable as possible water parameters but I really haven't been sold on the "must have it exactly 450ppm 365 days/year or the coral will not be happy and die on me" mentality. Plus, it's another thing that can fail on me and kill everything in my tank.

I'm happy with only my circulation/return pumps, lights, and heater being the only thing that can do that for now in my tank. I travel a lot and I need that tank to run as simple as possible for my girlfriend to look after while I'm gone. Sorry to wander from the topic. 2-part BRS dosing for Ca, Alk, and Mg. Easy to use, easy to mix, and have ready to dose weekly.

-Ty

Right now I am dosing the B-Ionic 2 part and I have been happy with it, but when this is gone I plan on switching to the BRS two part mix. Just recently added BRS dosing pumps to my system, but I was hand dosing every night before that and it wasn't too bad, but the dosing pumps are def much nicer when you get to that point.

Before I started dosing I would check my cal and alk and see if you need to. If you do regular water changes you may get away without untill you get alot of sps going on in there.

I'm not new to this. I do test and wouldn't be asking nor wasting money if I didn't need to. I only change my water every month or 2. My tank has shown great improvement since I started this regimen. My question was what people use not whether I need to or not.

I will get dosing pumps eventually but for now I am looking for something to get started with and just pour in.

Sorry about that, by no reactors I thought you were referring to Ca reactors. You can also dose the BRS 2 part by hand as mentioned by others. I think it is the best mix of low cost and high quality.