Filter recommendations for a 20-29 gal?

ClarkiiCircus

Hey there,

I'm setting up a new tank for a pair of mated clowns, and am thinking a 20(tall)-29 gallon tank. Anybody have any filter setup suggestions? In the actual tank I have about 20lbs of livesand, 15lbs of liverock, hermits, and ulva, caulerpa and chaeto on algae sinks.

At this time I'm not looking to do corals(although I have a light capable of maintaining corals), but rather an anemone for the happy fish couple, so I need a fair amount of flow.

Canister route? I have space for a sump but its not preferred. hang on the side refugium? (if so, anywhere know where I could find a prebuilt one for cheap?)

Would love your feedback! Thanks so much!

If you ask me in a tank that size if you're going to have an anemonie it's probably a not a good idea to add corals anyway, most won't tolerate repeated stinging and/or shading (Blue coral seems to tolerate getting up close and personal in a couple of my tanks but it's not the most colorful octocoral). I would go with one of the HOBs that have a refugium. Some people like canister filters but personally I haven't met an o-ring on one yet that wuoldn't leak sooner or later.

If you are not going to have coral a fuge is not that important. When I had my 29 gallon reef tank I used the Remora C HOB skimmer and it worked very well! I had the skimmer a powerhead, temp probe, and heater in the tank. I used T5s and was able to grow birdsnest and zoas really well. I did not have anemone at the time though. That might be pushing it. Anemones need very high water quality and a tank with a volume of less than 29 gallons swings to low quality very quickly. I am talking in hours in of over feeding you could get an algae bloom whereas it may take days in a 90 gallon, if the uneaten food is not consumed or removed.

Also evaperation on a smaller tank is a killer on salinity. I would also venture out to say if you have lights powerful enough to sustain an anemone then your evap will probably be very high too. With my four T5 I would lose about a gallon every three days or so.

Hope this helps

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-supplies/aquarium-filter/ps/c/3578/3579?s=ts&count=24&start=25&page_num=2

Aquaclear 110 in not listed as a HOB refugium, but I use mine as a refugium. At 500GPH with almost 2 gallons of capacity in the filer box, I removed all three filter medias and filled with rubble. If I need carbon or phosphate resin, I put what I need in a nylon bag. Not sure what cheap means to you. I personnely don't like cheap. Eventually you will pay dues on cheap stuff. Usually when the time is the worst. Just my two bits worth. The above filter is $75 new.

Patrick

• Like 1

Hey there,

I'm setting up a new tank for a pair of mated clowns, and am thinking a 20(tall)-29 gallon tank. Anybody have any filter setup suggestions? In the actual tank I have about 20lbs of livesand, 15lbs of liverock, hermits, and ulva, caulerpa and chaeto on algae sinks.

At this time I'm not looking to do corals(although I have a light capable of maintaining corals), but rather an anemone for the happy fish couple, so I need a fair amount of flow.

Canister route? I have space for a sump but its not preferred. hang on the side refugium? (if so, anywhere know where I could find a prebuilt one for cheap?)

Would love your feedback! Thanks so much!

What is an algae sink?

http://www.drsfoster...t=25&page_num=2

Aquaclear 110 in not listed as a HOB refugium, but I use mine as a refugium.

Patrick

+1. The 110 modded into a fuge and filter is a great filter for that tank size. In-tank makes a great refugium basket if you don't want to make one yourself. It's a bit pricey but great quality.

Do you still use 'off-cycle' lighting with the refugium in this instance, or not? If so, how do you manage that?

Just wondering how that part works. I'm still in research mode here, so forgive my silly questions.

Subsea,

Amazing, amazing idea! I think that's what I may do. I was considering doing an eheim canister w/ powerhead too, but I feel like for almost the same price, making my own hang on refugium is an amazing idea. Genius! Plus my light is just a touch longer than the tank so any macro I put in the refugium would be able to grow on the same light cycle as the aquarium. Do you think a powerhead would be a good idea to add a touch more flow, or skip that all together?

Haha an algae sink is basically a tiny weighted strip (or sometimes fishing line sink) that I wrapped my algae around so it is in the main tank for the copepods to breed in, but looks "decorative" and makes sure the algae doesnt get sucked up into my current filter. Silly I know, but I hate it zooming everywhere.

Do you think if I get the 110 filter that 500gph might be too much flow for a 20gal? Do you think the 300gph (the 70 filter) would be too little? I don't know if I should just go big and risk everything being blown to pieces, or underestimate and then have no flow. Tricky tricky.