ATO reservoir options

KimP

I've read that it's important to keep rodi water sealed. I'm planning on getting an ato hooked up to my tank and am trying to figure out what I can fit in my super small stand as a reservoir. What do y'all use? How do you keep it sealed with tubing coming out?

I've used a Rubbermaid container with a lid that I got at the Dollar Store. I drilled a hole through the lid that fits pretty closely with the size of tubing I use. I don't worry about keeping it 100% sealed and there seem to be no ill effects on my tank.

i use the typical 5gal jug found at LFS's, and use PVC to position a float valve at the bottom to stop the ATO pump from running when empty.

Do you just leave the lid off? How did you fit a pump through the hole?

if its sealed then the water would not be able to come out. I think they just mean you want ir covered. Unless you are doing the method where you have one tube that transfers the water and the other is in the sump at water level so that when the water level drops it alows air into the tube that then travels to the ato res. that then lets water out till it fills the sump up and blocks air from going into the tube.

With respect to keeping it sealed, reminded me of my first job as an engineer. I had just completed a 4 year Marine Engioneering program at one of ten Maritime Academy's in the US and thought I was "knowed up". I worked for a third party engineering design/construction company. The 300MW combined cycle power plant, used gas turbines with waste heat steam turbines, belonged to Dow Chemical and all power used went into salt water cells to manufacture chlorine gas. This plant was state of the art in 1972 and used quality instrumentation in the water treatment lab. With a sample of boiler water drawn from the vacumn tank of the steam turbine, I watched the pH readout steady drop from 7 to 5 because of carbon dioxide going into solution with this purified water that was hungry for molecules. Each pH unit represents a ten fold change in pH. In 15 minutes, I watched purified boiler water get 100 times more acidic by just absorbing CO2 from the air in the room.

i use an Aqua Lifter pump:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/pumps-and-plumbing/dosing-pumps-and-auto-top-off-systems/aqua-lifter-vacuum-pump-top-off-pump.html

the pump is outside of the jug... the intake is connected to airline tubing, which is then connected to hard airline tubing so it's opening is at the bottom of the jug.

i can take a picture of my setup later today when i get home from work.

Sounds funny, but i'm thinking about getting one of the 10-20gal little tanks from petco and using it. Right now i'm just using a regular 5 gallon bucket. But I have to fill it up every 2-3 days, looking for something that would last the whole week.

i use an Aqua Lifter pump:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/pumps-and-plumbing/dosing-pumps-and-auto-top-off-systems/aqua-lifter-vacuum-pump-top-off-pump.html

the pump is outside of the jug... the intake is connected to airline tubing, which is then connected to hard airline tubing so it's opening is at the bottom of the jug.

i can take a picture of my setup later today when i get home from work.

If it's not too much trouble, I'd appreciate it!

Okay, thanks for all the help. I hadn't thought of you tube, that's a good idea. I'm sure an ato is really simple, but I'm a little lost right now, just starting to look into it. I have a small, approx 4.5 gal, glass tank that is really skinny and tall that should be a good fit in my stand. It just doesn't have a lid. I'm not sure if those 5 gal jugs would fit, but I have an extra of those. I don't have a sump. Hmmm....

Kim, you can take a look at mine on the Solana. Just a standard 5g jug from the LFS with an autotopoff float valve and aqualifter pump for moving the water. Aqua-dome normally has aqualifters in stock or can get them for you.

I've been using a 5-gallon jug with a Tom's Aqualifter plugged into a light timer.

The timer is set to turn on the Aqualifter at the same time every morning and run for several minutes (just 1 increment on the timer).

The Aqualifter feeds freshwater from the jug to the sump through an airline tube with a small valve on it. (Actually the water drips onto the leaves of mangroves in the sump, to keep them hydrated... simulated rainfall shifty.gif ).

It is very easy to tweak the valve so that the topoff almost exactly matches the amount of evaporation.

Even if it's off by an ounce or two, it's a negligible change in SG (unless you are running a 3-gallon pico or something).

Also, I keep the water level pretty low in the sump so that in the unlikely event of a timer malfunction (ie, stuck in the "on" position),

the sump will not overflow. crab.gif

I previously used the float switch method but this is actually a lot simpler.

Edited by nemirn

I tried the little glass tank I have and it won't fit. I'm going to have to get creative if the container is going to be any bigger than a 2L bottle. This is an interesting project so far. Thanks for all the great discussion!

here's the pic of my ato jug... attached thru the jug cap, i have PVC which at the end is a float switch (connects to my Apex) and airline tubing (intake for aqualifter)... i simply switch out new RODI jugs as needed...

post-935-0-83669800-1327162736_thumb.jpg

I use a Home Depot 5 gall bucket and set the lid on top. It won't close cause the tube for the water just lies on the edge. I hooked a light into mine so that whenever the pump runs, the light is on. If the light stays on for more than 20 ses or so, I know that I need to refill the bucket.

I will be sing a 3 gallon acrylic tank that is tall and skinny,I'll just build an acrylic lid with the router in my garage and set it on. If the tank doesnt fit my spaces I'll sell it and build a custom acrylic res just like I built my custom acrylic sump.....

Acrylic I found is FUN to work with once you get the hang of it, sorta trying to build as much as I can lately too see the final results!