Brooks' LED-Lit 20g --- UPDATED [2/8/12]

Brooks

To make a long story short, my father wanted to get into the hobby. So, I got rid of the 5g tank, and set up a 20g with him! I am teaching him all about the hobby, and he gets to pay for the pricey corals. smile.png

Equipment:

60w CREE LED fixture (complete overkill, but run on <50% power).

TunZe 6015 Powerhead

AC70 HOB Filter

Livestock:

Miami Hurricane Chalice

Original Mummy Eye Chalice

FragFarmer's Watermelon Chalice

Jayda's Watermelon Chalice

Utter Chaos Paly

Candy Apple Red Paly

Red Hornet Zoa

Pearl Berry (look-a-like)

Full Spectrum Paly

Fish:

Target Mandarin Goby (EATING FROZEN, WHAT?!)

Bangaii Cardinal

Sexy Shrimp x 2

Peppermint Shrimp x 3

Current FTS:

1c04f98a.jpg

I'm excited to see what you do with this! Glad to see you around again smile.png

Thanks, Kim! I'm very excited as well! I think it is going to be a fun experience. :)

Great little tank. Looking forward to watching it progress.

Thanks, Jason!

saw one of these at the RCA counter tonight. Really wanting one! can't wait to see what you do.

Yeah! I actually bought the rocks from that tank, haha. Thanks, Biocube!

That's a cool idea... Never thought of doing that. Are the rocks stabilized with rods or anything, or do they just fit together nicely? It looks to be leaning a bit. That would make me nervous, but then again, I'm still new to this :)

They are not supported by rods, or anything! Completely stable as-is! :) It is not leaning (though, I too, thought it was when I first set it up). That is just the way that the rocks stacked!

If it does end up being unstable, I will tie it all together with zip-ties!

Wow, that is bright. I love the rock stack, especially how open it is at the bottom. Very cool.

Very bright! But it suits the tank.

Thank you both! I like the brightness, but its SO white. I added my Miami Hurricane and Jada's Watermelon frags in there tonight, and they're completely washed out with all of the lights on. I'm going to see if Bruce will switch out the 12k strips I bought today for pure actinic strips. Or perhaps another spectrum.

Here are some pictures of the new additions. The first 2 pictures have all of the lights on. They're extremely washed out, so I'm either going to add 2 moonlights or see if Bruce at AquaTek will switch out the two 12k strips I have on there for some actinic.

The last 2 pictures have the two 12k lights off, and the 12k+actinic on.

df1f0266.jpg

94b52ba0.jpg

23f90a21.jpg

e45e3898.jpg

Things are looking great! I am very happy with my decision to get the EcoPico. There is no noise, the tank always looks crystal clear, and the corals are doing GREAT! Even under 3 of the 3w LED strips. I am still going to add the other two on Monday (hopefully).