Vortech propeller pump

austx

Hey, I was looking into wave makers and ran across the VorTech propeller pump. I was wondering if anyone had any personal reviews of the product. I have a 75g ,48x18x20, I was wanting the wave effect it provides along with a moderate flow. Wasn't sure if I should be looking at the the mp10 or 40. Thanks for the help.

I have an MP40 on my 75 and run it about 20-50% of power. Between it and my Eheim 1260 return I get a decent random flow in the middle and some circulation too.

Like Wrynow mentioned, they are better suited to random flow than wave making(although they will do that too). I think in an ideal(read: money no object) world, I'd add a Tunze nano wavebox to an MP40 or even a MP20 depending on what you stock with in a 75.

Thanks for the help. Hows the sound on the mp40 motor? Ya my friend mentioned the nano wavebox as well so I've been looking into that just recently. Not too sure I would like the size of the wavebox though.

Well lets hear some arguements for or against the nano wavebox then please. Either way I would plan on leaving at least one 1050 powerhead up for flow. I like what I've seen about the wavebox and I got alot of help refining my search from your suggestions thank you. I think the wave motion is truely what I'm looking for to primarily benefit the sps and other corals and not just the random current and excess sound, already have that with the current powerheads..

Already looking into the 7092 control box for the nano and just thought I would see what placement suggestions yall had in 75g 48x18x20 tank. ie: left side wall back corner near the pump return on the back wall? Im adding a recent picture of the basic live rock structure as of now to help get an idea. Thanks for all the help.

post-2093-0-20312000-1315332571_thumb.jp

I have an MP10 in my 40g tank. I run it in manual pulse mode and played with the prop speed and ramp timing and I have been able to achieve a 1.5" wave on one side of the tank and about 3/4" wave on the opposite side. This affords me a range of placement depending on how much flow/movement is required for certain corals. I think these things are very underrated.

Ya I've heard alot of good comments for both honestly. The size of ther wavebox set me back at first but I could manage with the nano I'm pretty sure. My friend mentioned the 7092 controller and that seems like it would make finding the perfect frequency for the tank that much easier.

Then the motor sounds for the vortech came up and I could do without the added noise. Leaning toward the nano wavebox as of now and could eventually replace my 1050 powerheads with a single vortech mp40(or newer model) a year or so down the line. Thoughts, concerns anything else I may have overlooked?