Which Macbook do you suggest and why

dapettit

With all the hoopla I checked into an i7 "Sand Bridge" for both Mac and PC. WOW, what a price difference. I can get a windows laptop with double the memory and hard drive and stay within my budget. They are both 64 bit. The main advantage is the I can put the windows laptop on my Dell card. hmmmmm. . .

I still haven't gotten any Mac recommendations so I'm thinking what I want is way over my budget. I've been happy with my windows machine just not recently. My son & brother-in-law both have Macs but don't run Photoshop.

Dave-

WOW. I have 4 gigs of memory in the laptop. XP PRO only sees 3.3 gigs and Photoshop CS5 only sees 1.5 gigs of the 3.3 gigs. No wonder the darn thing keeps looking up or crashing when working with multiple layers. look like I need to find a copy of Windows7 64-bit until I can afford the new system. WOW unbelievable!

yes... xp will not see all that mem... that is why i suggested win7 64 bit.. your system will rub faster

.... and your on board video card is utilizing some of it as well..

edit... it will run faster too... lol

Posted this earlier in context. If anyone uses a SATA drive in their notebook, check out the Seagate Momentus XT drives. They are hybrid solid state / 7200rpm drives. Extremely good performance for a 2.5" spinning drive. Not quite as good as a high end SSD, but a fraction of the cost. They cut the boot time on my laptop by more than 50%. Running Core 2 Duo 2.4, 4Gb RAM, XP Pro...

Posted this earlier in context. If anyone uses a SATA drive in their notebook, check out the Seagate Momentus XT drives. They are hybrid solid state / 7200rpm drives. Extremely good performance for a 2.5" spinning drive. Not quite as good as a high end SSD, but a fraction of the cost. They cut the boot time on my laptop by more than 50%. Running Core 2 Duo 2.4, 4Gb RAM, XP Pro...

Yep those are pretty sweet little drives. :)

WOW. I have 4 gigs of memory in the laptop. XP PRO only sees 3.3 gigs and Photoshop CS5 only sees 1.5 gigs of the 3.3 gigs. No wonder the darn thing keeps looking up or crashing when working with multiple layers. look like I need to find a copy of Windows7 64-bit until I can afford the new system. WOW unbelievable!

My post from page 1:

"You have 4gig of ram in this machine, now the real question is are you running a 64bit os? If not then you may be on the 32bit addressing wall. Xp and some fluff can use almost up to a gig its self so your 4 gig just got chopped down to 3, photoshop is so hungry and single app limit to 2 gig in non 64native apps. Not mention whats addressed to hardware ect via bios. "

64bit is the only way to fly, Im just saying ;)

All desktop/laptop memory chips are native 64bit, hence the wall when running a true 32bit os.

Edited by DerrickH

I'd suggest that there is a huge difference between Dave's processor and the i5 in the new Macbooks. Not to mention the HD space.

I agree. I found a huge difference going from a Core 2 Duo to an i7.

i would guess so.. dual core vs6 core with hyper threading. i just sold my sister my late 2010 17' i7 that was a beast.. i kept the 15' i5 quad for myself. but i would put my AMD phenom X6 black edition oced to 4.6ghz a core (dual booting FreeBSD and windows 7 X64) against any machines running rite now. including my dual cpu xeon server at 8 cores total running 2.6ghz a core.