Are you sure you want to buy those expensive MH bulbs?

pbnj

I decided to experiment with those inexpensive PlusRite MH bulbs. For $13/bulb, I figured what the heck. You may have read about them on Reef Central.

Well, after about 3 weeks, I have to say, I'm really impressed. They say a picture is worth 1,000 words, so here you go.....

post-727-0-52718500-1295023904_thumb.jpg

This coral stopped growing months ago, it was completely browned-out, and it started to RTN or bleach a couple of weeks before I moved all of my corals into my new 135g tank. I quite literally was about to throw it away when I decided to give it a chance in the new tank. Boy, I'm sure glad I kept it. Not only has the color completely returned (picture doesn't show all of the beautiful sky-blue tips/highlighting), but the growth has been quite noticeable as well.

Picture was taken with just the VHO 454's on.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my opinion, I'd say the 14K's are just slightly "warmer" than the Phoenix 14K's, but still give a "cool" white look. They look great with my VHO 454's (which are blue, not purple-jelly colored).

They say the 20Ks are quite blue, but the 14K's PAR readings are significantly better.

My question is how old were your previous bulbs before replacing them with these?

I'd say about 7-9 months. I swapped out bulbs once for a few weeks during that time, so it's hard to say exactly. The other corals were fine though, however I never saw growth like this.

I'm sure the four Lumenarc Mini reflectors I'm using now have a lot to do with this, but hey, the bulbs seem to be doing their job too.

where did you buy them from?? I am about due to replace mine and might give these a try

Not sure if I'm allowed to say because they're not an ARC sponsor. They should be easy to find with an online search ("PlusRite").

My question is how old were your previous bulbs before replacing them with these?

I'd say about 7-9 months. I swapped out bulbs once for a few weeks during that time, so it's hard to say exactly. The other corals were fine though, however I never saw growth like this.

I'm sure the four Lumenarc Mini reflectors I'm using now have a lot to do with this, but hey, the bulbs seem to be doing their job too.

Hmm.. so it was about time to replace your old ones. It would be interesting to compare the growth/color of two sets of new bulbs (expensive/not expensive). But as you said, you had not seen growth like this before.

But the reflectors could be the key. I have read that proper reflector positioning makes a world of difference. Heck, when I added on my stunner LED's (with reflectors), my MH looked brighter due to the reflectors inadvertently reflecting more light into the tank.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update....

It's been almost another month and these bulbs (and coral) continue to impress me. This coral has changed from brown, to green with sky-blue tips, to completely sky-blue all over!

1/14/11

post-727-0-04619400-1297376506_thumb.jpg

2/10/11

post-727-0-23200300-1297376370_thumb.jpg

Just an update....

It's been almost another month and these bulbs (and coral) continue to impress me. This coral has changed from brown, to green with sky-blue tips, to completely sky-blue all over!

1/14/11

post-727-0-04619400-1297376506_thumb.jpg

2/10/11

post-727-0-23200300-1297376370_thumb.jpg

Did those light aid in the algae growth seen in the second picture? don't mean to offend... just wondering.

Did those light aid in the algae growth seen in the second picture? don't mean to offend... just wondering.

I'm dealing with a little phosphate issue which I attribute to the tank being newly set-up with dead (previously live) rock. Running 1000W of MH lights (plus VHOs) over a 135g tank for 8hrs/day certainly contributes though. Also, I still haven't added a significant clean-up crew.

• 1 month later...