Water change cart/project

mFrame

I'm trying to simplify my water change process, but want something that looks nice in my laundry room (where my RO/DI connection is).

I'm thinking of getting a cart similar to this:

41EsBfeC%2BqL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-999,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

with a water container on top.

Anyone know a good inexpensive source for carts like this that can take the weight (approx 80lbs of new water). I'd like to be able to have it on top of the cart so that I can gravity feed replacement water into my sump, while having a container on the bottom shelf for dirty water (approx 40 lbs).

This will let me fill the tank in my laundry, mix the salt there, then wheel it to my two tanks for the water change.

post-884-0-77470600-1293818213_thumb.png

The cart will certainly hold up. Give me the dimensions of the one you want. Let's just say I have access to "some". I might even have one in the garage for you. Do you mind if it's used?

I bought my reservoir from Tractor Supply but there was a place in Burnett selling them cheaper but that's a long drive.

The cart will certainly hold up. Give me the dimensions of the one you want. Let's just say I have access to "some". I might even have one in the garage for you. Do you mind if it's used?

I bought my reservoir from Tractor Supply but there was a place in Burnett selling them cheaper but that's a long drive.

Pm'd

I have 2 of those barrels from TS and they do work nicely. Mine are stationary, but a cart would be nice as well. Pulling 80g of SW may be a bit tricky, hope you don't have shag carpet.

Not 80g, 80lbs. :D I'm on the 5% weekly water change, so for my 90g I do 5g change, and since it's easier to just do 5g at a time I do the same on my 29g biocube. Total of 10g of water per week

You may want to figure out how do to 4 5gallon containers. 2 up top for each of your tanks and 2 on bottom for your dirty water.

Without getting too technical a nice feature would be a pump so your not lifting the containers each time.

Lowes had little pumps for $30 and with a mini hose would make water changes a breeze

Mike Home depot supply has those carts. not the same as home depot. its really HDsupply but they have them. if you want i can check the price, i have an account with them from when i was a chief engineer for Marriott. i have a catalog somewhere around here. i know Granger has them too, but Granger is ridiculous as far as there prices.

Matt

RUBBERMAID HEAVY DUTY UTILITY CART "FOB" - Freight

HD Supply Part # : 127246

Brand: Rubbermaid

Country Of Origin: USA

Qty. Price 1+ $189.00 Qty.

My price is 169.00

89.00 for an off brand at harbor is a pretty good price.

You may want to figure out how do to 4 5gallon containers. 2 up top for each of your tanks and 2 on bottom for your dirty water.

Without getting too technical a nice feature would be a pump so your not lifting the containers each time.

Lowes had little pumps for $30 and with a mini hose would make water changes a breeze

Thanks for all the replies. Another member here had one in their garage and offered me a great deal on a trade for it. I'm supposed to pick it up this weekend.

As for the waterchange setup, I've made the following progress:

• I got the top cut and pump installed on my 30g barrel. I also have a float valve installed so that the 30g is constantly topped off and I no longer flood the laundry room. :unsure:
  • I put my mag3 in the 30g and have a setup where with a flip of a switch I pump water from my barrel to my container of choice. I'll include pics shortly.

I currently have an extra mag9 with a length of hose that I plan to leave in my sump's large section. Once I've made my salt water on the cart, I'll wheel it over to my tank. Turn on the mag9, pump 5g to my nearby toilet using the attached hose. Turn of the mag9 and then let 5g gravity feed from the cart into the sump. I don't have to worry about empty anything from the cart or doing any heavy lifting that way.

I'll probably keep 2 extra 5g containers on the cart to hold my extra RO water. My ATO reservoir in both tanks is a 5g square jug.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

bump. Can we see some pictures? I know it's old but I'm looking to build one for myself soon.

Can do, I'll try to post them tonight. I ended up buying the smaller cart for about $80 from harbor freight and I'm pretty happy with the setup. It fits easily in my laundry room next to my RODI unit and makes changes much easier.

I always thought it was bad to use a float valve to control your ro/di.Because the first bit of water out is not the cleanest ? So your better off letting the tank get low then let the RO/DI run constatly till its full again.

Or I could just be imagining things again :)

BTW the place in Burnet that sold those no longer does water storage tanks we sold the line and only do custom stuff now. But if you need a custom built plastic tank :) I have connections. Its now called Freeman engenereed products. Plastic-mart dot com will be relocating to Austin in the next month or so. I hear they will have some tanks on site for walk in sales but not really sure what kinds sizes.

I always thought it was bad to use a float valve to control your ro/di.Because the first bit of water out is not the cleanest ? So your better off letting the tank get low then let the RO/DI run constatly till its full again.
Or I could just be imagining things again smile.png

BTW the place in Burnet that sold those no longer does water storage tanks we sold the line and only do custom stuff now. But if you need a custom built plastic tank smile.png I have connections. Its now called Freeman engenereed products. Plastic-mart dot com will be relocating to Austin in the next month or so. I hear they will have some tanks on site for walk in sales but not really sure what kinds sizes.

I'm not sure what you mean about the float valve and RO/DI. I have a float valve in a 30g covered barrel, when it is triggered by low water it triggers a valve that opens and begins pushing water through the RO/DI. TDS going in is around 210, coming out (into the barrel) is 0. I have a 15g container on the top of the cart used for mixing salt water. I usually do it the day before I need it and leave a powerhead running to keep it circulating.

Here's a photo of the cart. I have an extra maxijet 1200 I use to pull water from my sump into the container in the bottom, then pump it from the container back out to the yard or toilet. I store my extra 5g RO water jug on the bottom as well.

Where did you get your top container? and do you have any leads on another one of those carts? biggrin.png

Top container was from Tractor Supply Co. (specifically the one in San Marcos). They have multiple sizes, but the 15g is the one that fits the smaller plastic cart from Harbor Freight. Cart ran about $80, container ran about $80.