What the HEY are these?????

Laura

This is ridiculous!!! OK...I have had my 60g set up for approx a year...the newest corals were from Aquadome, Mothers Day, and include a purple plate, and small frag of merletti blastos...nothing new since had been added...ALL coral are perfect...all fish are FINE....I go to feed the fish and I look in the right side of my tanks and find FIVE of these things cruising around like a posse!!! They range in size from a dime to a quarter...all were together...all on the right side...either cruising on rock or glass....they popped out of nowhere!!! No new liverock has been added...NOTHING has been added for MONTHS!!! I showed another member who just left my house and he thinks there might have been a string of eggs that was attached to SOMETHING and they have hatched...but the size difference in all of them is incredible!! They have not done any damage and seem to be eating algae...for now??? I took them all out, and they are not like seahares where they are all jelly-like. They have a hard, shell-like center. They are all totally black with a "skirt" flap all around them...I placed them in my invert tank and gave one to the other member and he is also putting it in his QT and wants to help investigate what these could possibly be...I'll take anyone's wild guess!!!

According to Julian Sprung book of "Invertebrates --A Quick Reference Guide"---Its says that is a good herbivore in marine aquariums and reproduces prolifically. It mainly feeds on algae, but also eats tissue from hard and soft corals, so it cannot safely be housed in a live coral aquarium.

Desirable/undesirable features: Useful in marine aquariums w/o live corals. Not reef safe.

Food: Herbivorous. Filamentous algae, cyanobacteria and diatoms. Also feeds on coral tissue.

The cling-ons are approaching Mama!

They are after you and sent from the evil parallel universe!

(they look cool tho!)

They can't be from the evil parallel universe! They do not have goatees.

The cling-ons are approaching Mama!

They are after you and sent from the evil parallel universe!

(they look cool tho!)

nothing evil will ever come my way....gun.gif...we got to get a more aggressive smiley than this guy...he's getting old!!!

I'll take two!! Those are cool. From my reading, I'd gathered they were reef safe. Sponge or algae ok by me.

So Kevin...you would put them in with your corals? Cindy's post by Sprung doesn't scare you?bye.gif

According to Julian Sprung book of "Invertebrates --A Quick Reference Guide"---Its says that is a good herbivore in marine aquariums and reproduces prolifically. It mainly feeds on algae, but also eats tissue from hard and soft corals, so it cannot safely be housed in a live coral aquarium.

Desirable/undesirable features: Useful in marine aquariums w/o live corals. Not reef safe.

Food: Herbivorous. Filamentous algae, cyanobacteria and diatoms. Also feeds on coral tissue.

uh-oh.......................hmm.png

Is it possible they came in with the stuff you got Mother's day? My expierence with limpets and chitons is they don't grow real fast so either they've been in your tank a while hiding or are recent stowaway's, not hatched from eggs. If they've been in your tank a while my guess is either corals are not on the top of their list for dinner or they don't like your coral selection. Your right in taking them out considering what they might cost you even if they haven't done any damage yet (hate to find out the hard way) but I would be interested in how they do in a tank.

I put it in my small 12g reef. There is lots of hard and soft coral in there so we shall C.

Hey Nick!! Did yours live?? All of mine died, but there are no hard feelings as I received a phone call from a very reliable trusting source that agrees with your finding of what they are. Cmanning was correct in quoting Sprung as these are NOT reef safe and will eat your coral!!! My buddy had them eat his zoas...just an FYI!!