Looking for starfish

Melissa

I actually just saw my first Harlequins this past weekend. I was staring at them so hard trying to figure out what they were, then they moved, and I was just ecstatic. I know my may hurt them, so they would need their own set up.... hm...

Harlequins require a constant supply of live starfish to eat. They will wipe out a population of asterna stars pretty quickly. I think most people buy a chocolate chip stars to feed them.

I would love to have a pair of them in my tank, but I don't think my wife would like the idea of feeding them live starfish :)

that would be a nice little set up in the future. I just am wanting some little stars to creep around the tank. I just have algae growing, nothing else. What would be a good star to keep then? I have played with the idea of adding mushrooms and such, but with the cowfish, I'm limited at the moment. Or does anyone know of cowfish-proof corals, or mushrooms etc?

they are the mini brittle stars and are reef safe. Are the ones I gave you mike doing well? I have to get you some more. I saw some out last night.

Heres a picture of them in cause your wondering what they look like:

post-792-12682587757087_thumb.jpg

Edited by polarbear

i dont mind giving some away. like mike said they are quick breeders. the only thing is they are hard to get to most of the time since they mostly stay in the rock work. Ill try to see what i can get out. You will have to come get them pretty quick so they dont die from being stressed since they are so small. And as others say, if you have something to trade that would be cool but not a must.

Edited by polarbear

let me check to see how many come out tonight. its hard to house them in something but ill try. ill send you a message if i can get some. i work until 6pm and have to pick up some mushrooms from another member after that so I wont be home until late. If it doesnt work out tomorrow for you to come then we might have to wait until next week since the rest of this week and weekend are going to be busy for me. im going house hunting.

they are the mini brittle stars and are reef safe. Are the ones I gave you mike doing well? I have to get you some more. I saw some out last night.

Heres a picture of them in cause your wondering what they look like:

post-792-12682587757087_thumb.jpg

I've only seen once since I let them lose, late at night. They're tiny so tend to be easily lost in the rocks in my 90g. I'm hoping to get more from you in a few weeks, I'll give you a shout in a week or two.

of course. your the first on the list to get some when i catch them since i told you i would get you some more. just send me a PM around the time your ready so i can try to catch some. Im going to try to make a little trap/home to house them in when i catch them so that they can stay in the water current with some live rubble rock in there until they can be picked up.

Edited by polarbear

I have both the mini asterina's and a couple of the mini brittle stars. I'm not sure I'd reccomend the asterina's unless you have a coraline problem as that is what they eat. I personally found that it helps to cycle nutrients if you keep your mG and CA levels high and just pick out the asterinas once every couple of weeks.

I actually found a little brittle star like the first picture!! I was doing the normal thing and staring at my tank. We picked up a few little frags of things (reminder, not good with the names) and when moving stuff around, I saw this tiny little arm, so I stopped and watched and 2 more arms came out. Maybe more will come :)

Edited by Melissa