How do you fund your tank?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supervisor for Apple. Could be confused as babysitter, frat-house mom, or cat-herder depending on the day.

Engineering is mostly in Cupertino.

You're not my supervisor! Though I do think that babysitter should be in your job title officially.

I'm a (semi) retired engineer. I'm now teaching (warping) young minds teaching them engineering (www.pltw.org).

You think managing adults is fun, try the same thing with really smart, but no common sense teenagers :wave:.

-Dan

I have a question for you. When I was taking physics in high school, my teacher had a standard problem: you have a vat of water at 65 degrees, and into that vat you add an iron ball of some weight and temperature, a block of ice at some weight and temperature, as well as other othings and I calculated the resultant temperature of the water. Do you know the type of problem I am talking about and how to solve it?

Yes I do! :wave: My students are working on the exact same types of problems at the moment.

Yes I do! smile.gif My students are working on the exact same types of problems at the moment.

As I remember, it was fairly difficult to raise the temp on a significant amount of water - even 100 gallons or so. Adding a few gallons (10 or 15) of water at 15 or 20 degrees lower than the original temperature would hardly affect it all. Am I remembering this correctly? It has been 4 decades plus since HS Physics.

I am a graduate student at UT in chemistry. I worked for a while and saved some of my gear from my old set ups that I am using on my current 80L aquarium. I always make careful purchases and when I don't need anything I sell it online or trade it. I buy all of my filtration and media I can't make myself in bulk and I make all of my own supplements. I make many of my fish foods as well. I simply have a smaller aquarium for my smaller budget and I get to enjoy the challenge of keeping a smaller tank.

Edited by JamesR

Did they have physics back then? laugh.gif

Sure we did. But we used slide rules. I was a reel geek with a circular one that clipped onto my belt. We also thought the sun revolved around the earth and the world was flat.

Sure we did. But we used slide rules. I was a reel geek with a circular one that clipped onto my belt. We also thought the sun revolved around the earth and the world was flat.

Wow...! If Pettit is dad, then you are grandpa! laugh.gif

I don't think Mama is old enough to be "mama" tho.

Wow...! If Pettit is dad, then you are grandpa! laugh.gif

I don't think Mama is old enough to be "mama" tho.

And you couldn't tell that by looking at me? I thought the white hair and beard were a dead giveaway. Ooops. I shouldn't use the word dead.

As I remember, it was fairly difficult to raise the temp on a significant amount of water - even 100 gallons or so. Adding a few gallons (10 or 15) of water at 15 or 20 degrees lower than the original temperature would hardly affect it all. Am I remembering this correctly? It has been 4 decades plus since HS Physics.

Ya, water has a fairly unique property in that it takes quite a bit of energy to raise or lower its temperature, hence cold lake water in April, warm lake water in November. :D

Collision Repair Technician at a local high-end Bodyshop. I get to fix wrecked cars and play with the cool ones JK LOL..... but i have had the plesure of working on mmmmmmm.... Michael Dells mercedes Maybak, Cedric Bensons X8 M5 M3 etc, Aaron Ross Cadillac Escalade, a a guy by the name of SW who owns Elite Motorsports. Presently working on a Lamborgini Gallardo, And when Chris Simms was here i worked on his caddy as well...... sorry to name drop but i have met them all and they truly are nice people and have a great personality unlike most with money.

I do Paintless Dent Repair for money, and photography for fun. I make just about enough doing weddings and portraits to keep me in working equipment.

Offroadodge we need to talk. We were just talking today about coming to see you guys. Charlie Mills works with us and I think he is friends with the owner or manager there. Our company name is Texas Dent Works.

Collision Repair Technician at a local high-end Bodyshop. I get to fix wrecked cars and play with the cool ones JK LOL..... but i have had the plesure of working on mmmmmmm.... Michael Dells mercedes Maybak, Cedric Bensons X8 M5 M3 etc, Aaron Ross Cadillac Escalade, a a guy by the name of SW who owns Elite Motorsports. Presently working on a Lamborgini Gallardo, And when Chris Simms was here i worked on his caddy as well...... sorry to name drop but i have met them all and they truly are nice people and have a great personality unlike most with money.

the really funny thing is that all those people have wrecked cars!

SW has a whole stable of amazing cars!