Need help ID eggs sack please

teg

I just notice these weird egg sack on the glass this morning, at least I assumed it is an egg sack. There maybe 10 of them, but my sailfin tang seem to love them. Right after I took pictures of this one, he cleaned all of these off the glass. The sack was attached to the glass and inside seems to be little eggs. I have no clue what it is, if it's even eggs.

I have probably close to 50+ nassarius eggs on my glass/rockwork right now. I was going to reply to tell you to look into that, but in finding out what mine were all the pictures I came up with they were solid white on the outside. I thought the fact that yours seemed to be clear, that they might be something else. http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/9891-weird-green-spotssacks/ and http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-02/rs/index.php have more info on nassarius eggs.

Nassarius is correct. Ceriths are white and stringy somewhat like noodles. The nerites are a completely white dot. These are what Ive noticed from them hatching in my tank. I havent noticed my astrea eggs yet but have what looks to be thousands of little babies... unless they are nerites. The cerith babies are still growing. I may have alot for sale soon lol.

I used a Canon PowerShot SD630, it's one of those pocket camera. It only takes nice macro picture when you put the camera 1-6" away from the lens. Picture was taken in manual mode, to adjust the white balancing.

If I understand it right, I think the one you're seeing is cerith eggs. This link shows an example: http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/cerithSnail.htm

Nassarius is correct. Ceriths are white and stringy somewhat like noodles. The nerites are a completely white dot. These are what Ive noticed from them hatching in my tank. I havent noticed my astrea eggs yet but have what looks to be thousands of little babies... unless they are nerites. The cerith babies are still growing. I may have alot for sale soon lol.

Kkiel is right. I watched a large nassarius once lay eggs on the glass. Yeah, cerith eggs are more stringy.

Here is a picture of when my nass was laying eggs:

med_gallery_32_37716.jpg

interesting; I saw my nass on the glass slithering around and there were several of those egg pouches behind that nass, almost like a trail. 30mins later I checked on that nass again and saw new egg pouches; thus, I came to the conclusion it was nass eggs. I didn't catch the nass in the act of laying those eggs like you did though...

I used a Canon PowerShot SD630, it's one of those pocket camera. It only takes nice macro picture when you put the camera 1-6" away from the lens. Picture was taken in manual mode, to adjust the white balancing.

Wow I need to find your secret. I use a sd750 and cant take good pics for the life of me.

I'll try to describe the settings I use on the camera as best as I could, hope it will help you.

1: set camera into macro mode.

2: turns off the flash, for me flash just bounce off the glass and give glares in the picture.

3: enter "function set" mode and change to manual mode.

4: initially set exposure to 0 (middle), you can change these up or down base on how well lit the object is.

5: set the white balance option to "evaluate white balance", this way you can press the "menu" button and it'll auto adjust the white balancing.

6: "my colors off"

7: for the focus mode leave in "evaluative", you can to switch these around to get the right focusing mode for different pictures.

Also, I find that taking pictures at night under your MH lighting helps a lot, give you clearer pictures. In the day light from windows makes the picture not as vibrant, possibly due to reflection from glass. Sometimes the auto focus feature will focus at different spots around the object you're trying to take a picture of, so you'll have to change the angle, position of the camera so that the auto focus feature focuses on the right object. Sometimes adjusting the "focusing mode" (evaluative, center weighted, etc) will help too. Also, I have my picture size set as "M1" 2272x1704, not sure if this option makes a different in picture clarity. Hope this helps, If something is not clear, ask me.

One more thing, the lens on these camera take good macro pictures when the object is less 6" away from the lens. Anything further away, it's hard to take good pictures.

Edited by teg