Greetings Texas from Florida

Beaux

Just moved to Austin. Great place. Not new to aquatics but just starting to dive into reef tanks. I have just set up a nano, 20L, and have just purchased a 45g. I don't think I have enough expierance to start on that just yet. I welcome all comments and help. I would really like to succeed and have the beauty of  reef tanks in my home.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Just a quick question. I bought a few things the other day and I was wondering if there is a post, webpage or maybe an unwritten rule about coral placement. Mine are all softs, just a beginner, but how do I know I have placed them in the best places? Mainly my new toadstool. It has not opened up yet and is still bent over.

There are not really any set rules just good practices. All corals are different. Flow and lighting are your guides to placement. They need flow, softies not as much as SPS and LPS. They need light but not too much as too sun burn them. You can always move them if they are not happy.  Most important, place them so they have room to grow and you can see them. 

welcome beaux!  best thing for placement is seeing where they sat before you buy them... closer to lights? closer to flow?  then take it home and its best guess.  dont be afraid to move it around if it doesnt feel/look right.

Welcome Beaux!

Multiple tanks are fun, but I've actually found that the larger the tank the easier it is to manage (other than water changes).  The larger the tank, the more room for error you have if a parameter goes out of balance.  You might consider running the 45 instead of the 20

Welcome to the club! There are tons of great and knowledgeable people on this forum who are more than willing to offer advice and help. Feel free to ask lots of questions, there are no dumb questions in this hobby. I look forward to helping where I can and seeing your tank builds!

Thanks mFrame. I have kept all sorts of tanks my whole life. Fresh, brackish and salt as well. I am well accustomed to the permaters and frequent water changes, I maintain a once a week water change on the nano, good cleaner crew as well, so that's not an issue. All the testing equipment I have on hand. It's just going to be learning what affects what and keeping them in check.

Thanks for that welcome Gig'em. This is very exciting for me and I know this is a hobby I will enjoy for years to come. All I have now is just soft corals. I have been informed they are best for beginners.  I would like to see other builds as well to get ideas, mostly to see the other types of corals I have to look forward to. My biggest concerns at the present are better lighting and aqua scaping. I do not think what I have set currently is best but due to seeing so many different set ups, it is difficult to know what is best. I know I do not have enough live rock?Maybe 20-25 pounds for a 20 L.

Archived