FarmerTy's 215 gallon - No Water Changes SPS Tank

FarmerTy

Is the PAR about the same or did that change too?
I just borrowed a par meter so I plan to check shortly. I would guess that its getting more par under the T5s because they are closer to the surface.

Ah OK, the two tanks being plumbed together, I guess the variables are lighting type, feeding, flow, and PAR.  
Correct, though in the box isolated, I think feeding may not be as much of a variable as not much floats into the box.

15 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:
21 minutes ago, jolt said:
Ah OK, the two tanks being plumbed together, I guess the variables are lighting type, feeding, flow, and PAR.  

Correct, though in the box isolated, I think feeding may not be as much of a variable as not much floats into the box.

Maybe the box mitigates flow differences too?

• Like 1

Maybe the box mitigates flow differences too?

From observation, the whole flow in the DT seems to be greater so I think flow does have a slight effect here even though they're in boxes in both tanks. That and the flow is randomized in the DT but in the frag tank it is static.

Ok, second datapoint: when I moved my anemones from the 20 gallon qt to my frag tank with higher par and higher flow, their color deepened, the very tips got bright yellow,. and the bubbles are nice and plump.

• Like 1

Ok, second datapoint: when I moved my anemones from the 20 gallon qt to my frag tank with higher par and higher flow, their color deepened, the very tips got bright yellow,. and the bubbles are nice and plump.
Nice! What were your environmental changes between the two tanks?

I'm sure the water quality is much better in the frag tank.  It was hard to keep the 20g qt clean with the anemones in there, and I had a radion on the QT but had to run it pretty low to avoid crazy algae growth.  I also had to feed very sparingly in the QT, but I feed them mysis a couple of times a week in the frag tank.  So, in the QT, lots of siphoning junk out and water changes.   FT has much stabler parameters kept at acro friendly levels.  I did not even test the water in the QT.  Other than that temp and salinity were the same, but flow and PAR are much higher.

• Like 1

I'm sure the water quality is much better in the frag tank.  It was hard to keep the 20g qt clean with the anemones in there, and I had a radion on the QT but had to run it pretty low to avoid crazy algae growth.  I also had to feed very sparingly in the QT, but I feed them mysis a couple of times a week in the frag tank.  So, in the QT, lots of siphoning junk out and water changes.   FT has much stabler parameters kept at acro friendly levels.  I did not even test the water in the QT.  Other than that temp and salinity were the same, but flow and PAR are much higher.

That would make sense regarding their notable changes going to the frag tank. I'm looking forward to it eventually making it to the display!

Finally got a good shot of the VividAquariums Confetti with my 55mm-200mm zoom lens and a 12mm extension tube. I uploaded the original with a laptop too instead of tapatalk. What a difference just changing those things.

You can now see the green growing edge I couldn't ever show before and the kind of aqua coloration in the deeper portions of the colony.

9e6cb6663d006fdcdddef3ad98489ad6.jpg

• Like 2

Its pretty. 
That confetti is a keeper Ty!
Thanks guys! I should note its a top down view under whites... ATI T5 fixture with two SBREEF actinic bars.

In real life, its that red looking top down... Front view is interesting in my tank because the back half of the colony is nicely red but the front half that I can see is only lightly pink. I'm trying to determine which of the 8 bulbs causes that in my display... Or perhaps even just water flow. Who knows right now but interesting to observe.

7 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

So under the tutelage of a buddy online, I've been working on my photography game a bit more. I ordered some extension tubes for my 55mm-200mm zoom lens and began using Adobe Lightroom to edit my pictures instead of using an app on my phone. I also have been uploading my pictures directly from the laptop instead of using Tapatalk to upload and compress the pictures.

Let me know what you think!

tapatalk_1530939082673.jpeg

tapatalk_1530939080763.jpeg

tapatalk_1530939078841.jpeg

tapatalk_1530939076767.jpeg

tapatalk_1530939074875.jpeg

tapatalk_1530939069393.jpeg

tapatalk_1530939065281.jpeg

tapatalk_1530939061469.jpeg

tapatalk_1530939073158.jpeg

tapatalk_1530939067198.jpeg

tapatalk_1530939071409.jpeg

WOW. what settings are you using?

• Like 1

WOW. what settings are you using?

Nikon D5300

55mm-200mm zoom with 12mm extension tube

WB: shade setting

Shutter: 1/200

ISO: 1000

Aperture: 8

Shot in raw format, then uses Lightroom to match to real life as best as I can.

Output dimensions around 1000x730 I believe and upload not using tapatalk as it compresses the picture file.

• Like 1

I'm trying to learn too.  That's pretty fast ISO, any particular reason you did not use slower?
I couldn't change the Aperture from 8 for this lens so I was stuck manipulating the ISO and shutter speed to compensate. I typically try to keep a faster shutter speed because I'm hand shooting so I'll give up a little noise with the higher ISO setting to be able to do that.

I'm no camera expert so if you have any advice, please share Jolt! I'm still on wannabe photographer mode... Just use big words to try to convince people I know what I'm talking about. [emoji23][emoji23]