Lara's Little Bit of Ocean 440

TheOceanTraveler

the loudest part is the air intake.... you can somewhat muffle it in a box or by extendeding the tube to anotehr room, just dont obstruct the airflow too much.  i love that they use brand-name pumps and not some chinese offbrand.. makes it even quieter.

Plan A - I'm replacing all bulkheads and starting clean with the plumbing. I'm planning on frag tanks on either side of the 440. Softies on the left pulling the "nutrient rich" water that comes from the tank and then right side will be sps pulling from the water at the return. No sticking my head in the sump for frags. I'll get a cabinet maker to match the cabinets and have them where they will close to highlight the tank and protect from kids and cats. I kept Richards sump. I'm so glad it fit under the stand. It is coming together. 

I have decided to go with mixed Reef predominantly sps. What I need ideas on is with such a big playground how do I want to go with it. Tang gang, eel and friends,  mostly little like Pom Pom crab, sexy shrimp, school of small fish, breeding tank with just a few that are know to breed in captivity, 6 yellow headed jawfish and have corals up off the sand  and the list goes on. Anyone have any ideas I'm looking for input. Thanks. 

If I had a large tank like that I honestly wouldn't put any large fish in there. I would just stock it with wrasses, schools of Anthias and chromis, maybe some tangs for algae control. But there's nothing more beautiful to me than large schools of Anthias in a reef.

I feel like smaller animals like sexy shrimp and Pom Pom crabs would just get lost in a tank that size and you'd never get to see them and enjoy looking at them. Most people put them in nano tanks so they can easily keep track of them and find them.

I think small things like Pom poms and sexy shrimp may get lost and not seen in such a large tank.  Shoaling fish would be really cool, like Anthias or cardinals.  I do think you will want at least a couple of larger type fish.  I am excited for you to have such an awesome tank! Congrats!

Gig'em and I must have been typing at the same time as I didn't see his post but we are obviously having the same thoughts.   I am making my 180 a wrasse party and I can only imagine a 440 with tons of wrasses in it!

Guess I'll do some wrasse research. I had a 6 line wrass that swore me off of them. But,I am open minded and will take a look. Thanks. Any other ideas are welcome. I know I need a couple larger fish to encourage the schooling. Any must haves I should look at in the wrasse world? 

Large angels/tangs, schools of anthias, and tons of wrasses. Don't let the 6-line put you off, they're like the jerks of the wrasse world. I don't know why people still buy them. The rest are amazing!

• 1 month later...

I need some help here. want to upgrade the return pump. Submersible
Order of priority.
1. Quiet - Really Quiet
2. Cost efficient to run
3. Reasonable price

Please chime in. I want to have this tank wet by end of next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my reeflo return pump, it is external, if that is an option.  Very quite, lots of flow! Adds no heat to the tank. If you decide to go down that path let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a family emergency that has caused me to need to sell all things aquarium. I am getting out of the hobby completely. Thanks to everyone on this site it has been a wonderful experience. If you know anyone looking for an amazing tank setup have them message me. [email protected]. I'll be posting the sale later today. 

Archived