72 Bowfront Broken Center brake HELP!!!

Rconde

Hello all I got a 72 Bow front awhile Back and the top center brace in it is broken. ANYONE have a broken tank I can take the brace off of or does anyone know how to fix the center brace. I was going to try and use marine epoxy but after reading instruction more thoroughly it say not to use on aquariums..... GO figure

I merged your two threads on the same issue.

You might try contacting the tank mfg to see if you can buy the top trim and replacing it. I'm assuming this is an AGA/Marineland tank with the plastic trim with the built in center brace.

In the mean time, you might try lowering the water level to reduce the strain on the glass.

Another option might be to purchase a piece of glass and silicone it as a brace.

When this happen to me I drill two 1/8in or so holes as far to the glass as possible on the plastic trim and use

a small cable or 18ga solid wire with insulation attach to each hole to keep the center of the tank from bowing.

thanks everyone, I'm looking for more of a permanent fix because I'm looking to set this tank up and really don't want any issues down the road. Al-tho Long I didn't think of that but I can see the plastic failing in time. Does anyone know if acrylic will bond to glass and what type of glue/silicon would work the best to do so?

• 2 months later...

Glueing acrylic to glass is not so easy, the two would require a lot of surface area and they would need to be scuffed, in order to use a pure cyanoacrylate "super glue" to try to bond both surfaces...

Have you considered having some one at POLYPLASTICS engineer a new center brace?

Archived