Nanos - what works what doesnt?

Wippit

Due to house remodeling projects that must be accomplished before I get a larger tank I've decided to go with a nano. But, like everything else, I want to get the advice from experienced users.

Here's my goal: a smaller tank (14g?) that I'd put a pair of clowns and a BTA or similar for them to host.

nanocustoms.com looks like a playground with all the precustomized options and kits. PetCo has nanos (and all other aquariums) on for 20% off--I can get a base model BioCube 14g for $270.

I know that I'd like to have a refugium (are these built in also?) and a skimmer, but I'd like to get opinions on the following questions. In other words, if YOU were going to do this what would you choose?

What is the best option for the goal I have?

What size?

What lighting?

What other options?

Should i get the base model at Petco and an addon kit at nanocustoms? Or get the precustomized packages? (I'd prefer the prebuilts for ease of maintenance, but bang for buck is important too.)

i have a 29g biocube..its really basic when it comes to just starting a aquarium...i liked it cause its small can kinda conveint..it doesnt have a fuge setup but there are many people who mod these things..it dont come with a skimmer either..though they sell skimmers for them..i wouldnt recomend the oceanic skimmers...i bought a tunze 9002 for mine..and i am working on modding the rear chamber for better flow and filtration..some people make the rear chamber a fuge..me..im going to buy a media basket from mediabaskets.com and put it next to my skimmer..it all depends on what u wanna do..the lighting sucks..its only pc's..so u cant keep all the nice sps corals but if u wanna upgrade u can...they r very upgradable...u can also go to nano-forums.com and read some of their forums and check them out before u actually decide to dive into the nano...hope my info was helpful to you...hope to see some pics of it soon

• Like 1

AIOs make it easy to have a display with a hidden functional sump - but the skimmers built into any of these kits are usually mediocre at best. That being said, there are plenty of people (myself included) that think nanos can operate fine without skimmers. I've got a 7.5G tank going now (another blog entry soon to follow) with a HOB filter modded to a refugium. You have to be somewhat more careful with things since bad things happen quickly in low volumes of water and you have to choose livestock that won't outgrow the tank, but it's all manageable and has been done thousands of times before. I recommend nano-reefs.com - some really helpful people, some not so much, but plenty of ideas and successful tanks all over the boards and a collection of articles that deal specifically with small tanks.

Nanocustoms can come in handy because most AIOs and other kits sold as one-stop saltwater tanks only have enough lighting for FOWLR or low light corals, if you want to keep the look of the kit but keep a full blown reef, nano customs can definitely help with that.

Edited by DaJMasta
  • Like 1

I have a JBJ 28G Nano Cube. I like my tank, but my advice would be just be prepared to mod the heck out of it, because you will eventually be disappointed with much of the stock configuration, equipment, and performance of most of the All-In-Ones. For example, my tank has a 150w Metal Halide and my temps were out of control until I got creative with some fans. I'm not even going to mention the stock skimmer, lol.

• Like 1

Recently, I noticed that two major nano cube manufacturers are now offering certain models with the common upgrades that most aquarists will do. For example, I believe Oceanic has a model with a refugium, skimmer, and metal halide option. These may be more cost effective in the long run, as opposed to upgrading a nano at a later date. Most of the LFS's in town already have these models in stock as well.

• Like 1

Recently, I noticed that two major nano cube manufacturers are now offering certain models with the common upgrades that most aquarists will do. For example, I believe Oceanic has a model with a refugium, skimmer, and metal halide option. These may be more cost effective in the long run, as opposed to upgrading a nano at a later date. Most of the LFS's in town already have these models in stock as well.

Yeah, just saw that thing at RCA a couple weeks ago. Looks pretty good and I think they said it's $600.

• Like 1

My thoughts are towards a DIY fuge, run topless with a clip on metal halide. I'm running two of my nanos this way and I think it's a good balance between cost and effectiveness.

I've been kind of turned off of looking at the cube manufacturer's lighting upgrades since I found out some of the older aquacube and JBJ parts are hard to come by.

• Like 1

Kind of jumping back to your original post. Are you looking at this 'nano' tank being long term or simply a stop gap until you get a larger tank?

If stop gap, I'd look at one of the nanos avaiable (or shortly available) in the equipmen sales section. (I'm a big fan of taking advantage of the budget advantage of used equipment) That being said, more volume is better from a raw stability standpoint. A 14 gallon will work just fine for a BTA and a pair of small clowns but will get overly crowded for a full size pair and BTA. A 34 works for a mature pair of clowns and BTA (that's where I'm keeping mine.)

• Like 1

I agree with Gonzobob about trying to purchase one used. The reason being most of the stock equipment you will toss away almost immediately. I have a Nanocube 12G that I bought on Craigslist back in Nov 2008 and took out the sponge and bioballs the previous owner had in there. The canopy stock light was not working and the previous owner said she went through two ballast replacement on it before giving up and getting a single satellite fixture. I had trouble keeping my clownfish in the tank with the open top setup so I replaced the light with LED retrofit from Nanocustoms. Love it! I get the intensity of metal halide without the heat issue. I also converted the middle chamber into a fuge. Most nano skimmer are not worth the trouble so I run mine skimmerless. No problem as long as you practice good husbandry.

I'm keeping only a pair of clownfish and a variety of LPS/SPS.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the tank. If I had the option, I would probably have gone for a 24 gallon version. I wanted to get back into the hobby and keep my wife happy too so the small one works out.

• Like 1

Is that the HQI version?

@gonzobob: I don't think of this as stopgap. Fate may dictate that this be my only salt tank, but even if not I think it'd be a great little community.

@gonzobob again: I'm big on the idea of refugiums. Larger water volume and cleaner water, seems like a winning combination.

My Nanocube 12G Setup:

- Nanocustom LED retrofit kit for Nanocube for lighting

- replace stock return pump with MaxiJet 900

- Koralia Nano circulation pump

- chamber 1 - filter pad and purigen

- chamber 2 - chaeto refugium (The Nanocube backing is just black vinyl, so easy peeling to get light into the back)

- thermometer and return pump

Livestock/Corals:

- pair of clownfish

- purple lobster (from original owner and my son named him Cousteau so I can't remove him. :))

- four different zoanthids colonies

- orange florida ricordea

- two heads frogspawn

- small green bird's nest

- three acroporas

It sounds like a lot of stuff in a 12G tank but everything is fairly small so it's not overcrowding...yet.

I'll see if I can upload a picture of the tank for you tomorrow when the lights are on.

You're also welcome to drop by and check out the puny tank if you like. Just PM me if interested.

I don't know if this helps you, but I did mine myself and it's a bit larger than one of the pre-packaged nanos, but it's about the same price. Occasionally, you'll find a really good deal at petco or petsmart. I got a 45 gallon pentagonal tank with stand for only $150. The light is a single 96W PC fixture that I bought from a guy here on ARC (about $125 new). I've got a aquaclear 70 HOB filter with sponges and cermamic tubes (about $50?) and a pair of PHs with a sponge filter on one of them (about $30 each). So for, less than $400, I've got a much larger tank than a normal nano and it's was pretty cheap. Pluse the upgrade possibilities are endless. Add a Metal halide, put a HOB refugium and skimmer, throw a sump underneath... etc.

I would encourage you to go that route rather than with something that can never be upgraded (at least is very difficult to upgrade).