Tap Water Quality in Cedar Park

tizzite

Hello, I'm new to the forums and the hobby. I'm starting a nano tank. My goal is to have just two small corals and some inverts. I want to keep my livestock very happy and uncrowded, but don't want to go overboard with buying lots of equipment.

I plan on getting:

1 torch head

GSP

Sexy Shrimp

Standard CUC

My question is, could I get away with using tap water using anti-chlorine drops if I live in cedar park?

I found my district's Water Quality Report and it says average Chloramine levels are 1.7 ppm. How is that? Is that an acceptable number?

There's also some trace levels of copper it looks like, but I can't make out how much there is, and if that's a negligible amount.

Could someone help me out? Thanks!

Edited by tizzite

Tap water has no place in this hobby!

If you are going to do a saltwater tank you must use RO/DI ... no exceptions.

I'm sorry but I think it is a real disservice to new people to quote absolutes, which are not absolutes, but rather your strong opinion. The correct answer has been stated by most - yes you can use it but it's extended use will have detrimental effects and unwanted results. I know of a LFS that used to start with tapwater when cycling larger tanks from scratch rather than cart a bunch of 5 gallon jugs there.

I have never used dechlorinated tap water and I wouldn't suggest it, but it can be done. Even then I would suggest RO/DI for water changes and top off water. IMHO

Bill

I started out using tap water but switched to RO/DI after six months of battling algae. I wanted to see if it could be done, but found that hauling RO/DI really was less work than trying to control the nuisance algae! Trust me, it's easier to just avoid tap.

I definitely agree that tap water should be avoided. It is just a pet peeve of mine, and for once, I felt like I had to comment on folks voicing their opinion was fact and not answering the question of a new member. In other words not being helpful at all. I think 'flowers answer is fine - yes you can do it, I tried it and wouldn't recommend it.

Sorry, I am not trying to put down any one person; just the collective occasional practice of a number of people.

(Bill, steps off soap box)

Bill

I can show you lots of pictures of what happens when you use tap water long term in a saltwater tank! Oh boy I got this one covered!!!

It *very* successfully grows the most beautiful, lush, healthy and dense amounts of algae one could ever hope to NOT have in their tank. :) Hmm, unless of course that's what you are going for in which case go for it.

Eventually I will have the flip side to those pictures along with the complete saga of how to rehab a neglected reef...someday.

I won't put words in Bill's mouth, but I don't think it's so much the 'facts' involved as it is the tone in which they are presented.

As a newbie to this hobby it can be very overwhelming to figure everything out even when you are trying very hard to stay ahead of the curve and not screw up. Sometimes the 'Well duh you idiot' tone in response to simple questions can be very off putting when you didn't even realize you were asking something about a <supposedly> obvious subject.

I have a tough skin, have been on the net long enough and have enough other hobbies where I'm the old hand helping the new folks to not take offense when some of the gruffer folks snap like old dogs at a pup. Not everyone does though.

Overall I've found the folks here to be wonderfully helpful and really great about answering even the most simplistic questions. Some perhaps more so than others... but overall I think it's wonderful how so many people are willing to help those of us who are very new avoid making disasters of our tanks.

Tizzite, I started out using my tap water because it's what I've always used without problems for my freshwater tanks and it's what the folks that I bought my saltwater tank from were doing. I inherited a hell of a nutrient problem from them that I've been fighting a battle against for the last 3 months, primarily in the form of algae and cyano bacteria. I had no idea that things like phosphates and nitrates in tap water could lead to huge problems in a saltwater tank. I didn't even switch to DI water for that reason. I switched because a few months back our water company finally switched from straight chlorine to using chloramine and it has made our water horrible, spiked the free ammonia in the water and it smells horrible. My research on nuisance algae and the problems associated with making water treated with chloramines safe for saltwater tanks is what led to me changing to all filtered water. I've since learned that the issues with tap water extend even further beyond nitrates, phosphates, chloramines, ammonia, etc. It's just not safe to use such a variable substance in a contained system that is as sensitive as our saltwater tanks can be.

I think some people do use tap water and get away with it because they keep things in their tanks that are hardy, or when things die off they attribute it to something else. The folks I got my tank from had killed all kinda of things. I was amazed at the amount of money they had spent on livestock only to have it die! I can't afford to do that. It's easier and cheaper for me to make sure the water going in my tank is 'clean'. There's enough to worry about without having to worry about water quality.

If you want to chance it, test your water yourself and see where you stand. I tested my tap water for phosphates, nitrates, free ammonia and free chlorine. All the results came back at levels to high to be healthy for a reef tank. If you are still trying to figure out what water parameters you should shoot for in your reef check out this web site: www.wetwebmedia.com. I really, really have learned a lot there.

Liz

Tizzite:

The final decision is yours. You don't say how big your Nano is going to be or what supporting equipment (filter, skimmer, etc) comes with it or how much time you want to spend with the maintenance of it. If it is small (under 29 gal) then I suggest at least getting RO water from HEB, Walmart, or the many little kiosk set-ups that are now all over the place. If you do decide to use tap water, then at least add a water filtration unit to what ever sink is going to supply it. Or look into getting a small RO/DI unit to put under the sink. To be honest, even one of those Brita units would probably be better then straight tap water. Finally read the past posts on this site, reef central site, some of the sponsors sites, and afterwards as I said- the decision would have to be yours.

wayneb

Looks like the tank is full what did you use for water?

Muddy, if this is directed at me then after the big crash in Oct/Nov ( after initial fill-up with declorinated tap water), I went to Aquatek for 20 gal of salt water and then to HEB for RO water. Got more live rock from Aquatek and Fishy Business and algae eating snails out the zazoo. Have to retake the tank picture. I did this one for S&Gs using Paint software to show water flow.

wayneb

well if its not a fact then show me one successful tank that uses tap water.

Can it be used to start a tank? It can but I would not recommend it.

Can it be used long term in a saltwater tank? Nope and thats a fact unless someone can prove me wrong.

Josh,

I can prove you wrong. I have had more than 1000 gallons in different systems at one time. I can assure you I did not use RO water even to top off. Do I recommend it for the beginner? No.

Patrick

To follow up on my use of tap water, I have my own water well with no types of chemicals added. The water coming out of the ground from the Trinity Aquifier is already loaded with chemicals, calcium, magnisium and sulfate. The outside plants love it as is. My kitchen faucet and icemaker have an RO unit for me to drink. My washing machine cloths stink sulphur if I didn't use scented products added to wash and dry the cloths.

With respect to my reef tanks, I always add nitrate and phosphate in the form of heavy feeding. No matter if there is no nitrate and phosphate in the make-up water, it will get into your reef tank. Thus we have a heavy emphases on nutriant removal. Most reefers on this site use protein skimming as the main method of nutriant control and then follow up with phosphate removing resin and carbon use. Power to you all. I choose not to use protein skimmers for nutriant removal but instead rely on nutriant cycling. One mans poison is another mans food. It happens in our sand bed bacteria. It also happens with the minute critters which live in the sand beds. In addittion to these nutriant cycling, the biomass of coral as it grows is another example. I especially like the use of decotive and ediable seaweed to remove nutriants. To quote Martin Moe about reefkeeping, "This is not rocket science, it is more complicated".

I agree with Bill. Simplistic opinions and absolute answers are not helpful in this hobby.

Patrick

Muddy, if this is directed at me then after the big crash in Oct/Nov ( after initial fill-up with declorinated tap water), I went to Aquatek for 20 gal of salt water and then to HEB for RO water. Got more live rock from Aquatek and Fishy Business and algae eating snails out the zazoo. Have to retake the tank picture. I did this one for S&Gs using Paint software to show water flow.

wayneb

Tizzite posted pics of his tank in his album, that is what I was refering to.

I would love to see photos of your tanks Patrick.

I would like to se pics also. After the last meeting you should be able to post some pics.

If I'm not mistaken...I believe Patrick (subsea) will be hosting the March meeting at his place. I think this would be a good opportunity to check out his tanks and I'm pretty sure there will be folks snapping pics. to post on this forum. I'm hoping that I'll be able to attend...

We personally use RO/DI.

I have yet to set up a reef tank, but I have run fresh water tanks for years. From experience in FW and from living in a LOT of different places I really think it depends on where the water comes from. Is it well water? Is it water that is recycled from gray water? Most well water should be pretty beneficial because of the natural minerals.. It is for FW tanks anyway..

Anyway.. I have seen Patrick's tanks and I am sure he wouldn't mind, but here are some photos I took while out there a couple of days ago.

Here are a few.. there are more here.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jamsessionphoto/PatrickSAquarium#

_MG_0247.jpg

_MG_0252.jpg

_MG_0255.jpg

_MG_0263.jpg

_MG_0257.jpg

Jake, thank you for the pictures.

I do not own a camera. I went to the January meet to visit and to get to know people better. There are so many good photographers in ARC it really is not critical that I do not have a camera. If my tanks were a business then it would be a different issue.

I will be hosting the March meeting for ARC on a Sunday, March 28. This is Palm Sunday, one week from Easter. I had hoped to serve some ediable seaweed dishes of Red Ogo. Do to technical difficulties, my harvest will be delayed significantly. For this gathering, I will host a crawfish boil with other Cajun ethnic foods. Because of the cost of this seafood, I am asking people to contribute $5 to offset expenses. While I do not drink alcohol, I have no problems with beer drinkers as long as you BYOB. I will post more details after the Febuary meeting.

Patrick

It's just not safe to use such a variable substance in a contained system that is as sensitive as our saltwater tanks can be.

Liz

I think this says it all. Subsea's beautiful tank aside, most of us end up having more problems in the long run if we don't use RO/DI. Even if you go to the trouble of obtaining a water quality report on your source, who's to say the water will be the same each time you use it?

I do trust the public water supply for my own consumption and that of my family. I think it's silly that so many people insist on buying bottled drinking water or doing the heavy filtration for regular drinking water. I will buy it for the convenience of being able to grab a bottle of water and go, but at home or restaurants I just drink tap. That being said, I don't trust it for my tank for the reason Liz stated above. The organisms are far more sensitive with their little delicate bodies than I am to small impurities and the system is contained so what may be a small amount of something going in can concentrate to higher levels as you keep adding it.

Also, the problems people tend to have from water quality are sometimes slow to evolve and hard to determine the cause of. Bad stuff soaks into the rock, then slowly leeches out of it for a long time after you start using RO/DI.