Help - Pulsing Xenia!

kris_karlie

I purchased some pulsing xenia in September and now it is taking over my tank. At first I was pleased with it's growth - such speed - it sure seemed happy..... but now...... It is covering EVERYTHING! It has attached to large base rocks that I can't get rid of. Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried pulling them off - but they seemed to be attached for good. Help - it is ruining my beautiful tank.

Kris :0

+1 on what Dapettit said. Get a blade and cut as close possible to the rock....sometimes coraline comes off with it but it's easier to remove it. Also placing it in your sump will help with the removal of extra nutrients in your water----Great filter feeders!!!

-Cindy-

I had that happen to me, in the begining I thought how great it was that I had coral growing so quickly in our tank, and then decided it was time to get it out beacause I found it invasive. The rocks that had the most I took to the LFS and sold for store credit. The rest I eliminated it by placing the rock so that the infected areas were just out of the water, after it dried out it died. I scraped off the dead areas before placing them back down in my tank.

For you guys wanting the Xenia, I have the same issue with light blue paly's. I am happy to give it away. I thought about selling it, because it is pretty - but I couldn't sell it knowing how invasive it is. It is very invasive. But, if anyone wants frags of it, let me know. If you were over at Gabriel's for his sale, I think he had some of it (Gabriel, please feel free to confirm or deny).

Stephen

sounds good I'll pm info later.

Dave«

I have a little that is on a rock that is yours for the taking. Unfortunately - the motherlode has spread to my 'base' rocks that I can't/won't move.

Let me work with it - maybe I can meet up with you next weekend.......

I live in Cedar Park. If anyone wants any, they would need to contact me and set up some time to come by. I'm normally at home in the evenings and weekends, sometimes more often. Since I'm going back to work tomorrow after 2 weeks off, I will probably be pretty busy the first part of the week. The main problem I have is although I have one or two smaller rock that they have grwon up on, the main colony is on a larger (6" - 8") that I have other stuff on. I plan to eventually pull that out when I get some rock to replace it, and cut the things i want to keep off it. In the meantime, I'm able to put smaller rocks on top of it, and within a couple of weeks the palys grow up on those. Like I said, I do have one or two smaller ones I could get rid of now.

Stephen

When my pulsing zenia started to invade I just got my thumbnail started under the edge, then once i got it started it would usually pull away from the rock pretty cleanly, you just have to work at it slowly and keep it peeling up off the rock so as to not leave any behind.

As far as the palys, I have several rocks with them growing on it, A couple I was able to bit by bit peel them off the rocks with tongs (time consuming and tedious) on 1 rock I ended up breaking off the sps that was growing there and setting the rock w/palys outside to freeze dry. I still have a couple more rocks to do.

It is like tending a garden. Even the grass can look good amongst the flowers. It is a matter of persception. I hapen to like Xenia. It is a great nutriant exporter. If you limit the iodine, the Xenia should slow down.

Are the different types of Xenia more/less invasive? I just purchased some pom-pom xenia and think it's beautiful! Would actually like it if it took off and spread. Course, not all over my tank.... Right now I have two little clumps. One on a fairly isolated rock, another on a large rock that is part of my overall rock structure. One has already sent a 'shoot' off in another direction after a branch got stuck under the rock and couldn't get to light. I'm waiting to see if that bunch that is shaded will die or keep seaking the light.

I find myself stopping and watching the xenia open and close, open and close... thought I was nuts until I caught my kids doing it too! :)

Reefman, I'm a bit N. of you outside Lampasas. If you put the palys on an isolated rock would they be easier to control? I'd really like some blue in my tank, and as empty as it is the idea of something taking off and growing sounds nice! Might regret it later but my few corals just look lost right now. I'm going to stick with softies and I really like the zoas & palys. Will send you a PM.

Liz

I live in Cedar Park. If anyone wants any, they would need to contact me and set up some time to come by. I'm normally at home in the evenings and weekends, sometimes more often. Since I'm going back to work tomorrow after 2 weeks off, I will probably be pretty busy the first part of the week. The main problem I have is although I have one or two smaller rock that they have grwon up on, the main colony is on a larger (6" - 8") that I have other stuff on. I plan to eventually pull that out when I get some rock to replace it, and cut the things i want to keep off it. In the meantime, I'm able to put smaller rocks on top of it, and within a couple of weeks the palys grow up on those. Like I said, I do have one or two smaller ones I could get rid of now.

Stephen

Can you post a picture of these?

Controlling their spread on an isolated rock is an open question, however I have found these spring up in completely weird places that aren't near the main rock. However, it might be because I moved my tank to our new house a little over a year ago. When we moved the tank and re-did the scape, I'm sure the rocks got mixed up, so its possible where I have seen it spring up were rocks that were originally touching the paly rock.

I don't have any pictures, but they are basically a solid light blue/green (more blue than green) and a solid color.

Stephen

Edited by reefman

Xenia is the most prolific of all softies. It multiplies using every technique of asexual reproduction available. Yes budding will send starts into the water column to settle anywhere. Yes some are more prolific than others.

Have yourself a bodachious day.

Patrick