Travel Guidelines

doktorstick

Howdy.

With the holidays upcoming, I might have a few days of travel TBD. Since this will be my first away-from-home since I setup my fish tank, I need to know general guidelines about the care and safety of my critters. For instance, should anything be done leading up to the trip? What about survival time without foodstuffs for fish? And so on.

Thanks!

I've had my fish go sat/sun w/out food, but I fed them friday late and fed them again monday am early.

I always do a water change two days before I leave and I make sure my top off is full, skimmer is clean and empty, etc before I leave.

Depending on how long you are gone, check out sea clearly tank service. She does good work and will leave you with peace of mind while you enjoy the holidays.

Or you can cheat like I did. Once I was in the hobby I got a couple of friends addicted (Zarathrusta2 and LSK) so I always have someone to watch my tanks:)

For sure. I have my own "ARC posse" that I call on when I leave town. Rest assured I'll be calling them again once the baby comes!

my two cents: cleanup saltcreep (if any) when you do the water change. I once had saltcreep cause my icecap ballast to arc and smelled like burning plastic. Had I not been home, I'm not sure what would have happened.

I have heard healthy fish can easily go 1-2 weeks without feeding. It isn't the same as a dog or more typical pet. They can forage around the tank for stuff as well. Personally, I would prefer to take my chances with that than to have someone who doesn't know what they are doing feed my fish. You can also get one of those automatic feeders for flake food. Not the best food, but you can control the portions.

A controller is great too. I was able to monitor my tank from afar during the recent Thanksgiving holiday.

I was thinking it would be nice to build up an "emergency contact" list for ARC. That way you could use a normal pet sitter -- friend, neighbor, whatever to watch over things. But if you some kind of emergency popped up you they would have someone to call. That would get over the weirdness factor of having some random ARC-er in your house because they would be there with your trusted pet sitter. But they would be someone who would know their way around a tank and could probably quickly spot problems than a non reefer pet sitter wouldn't notice.

Gah. I was hoping the answer was "4 or 5 days."

Depending on the fish load, and maturity of the tank, this is definitely possible. In fact, I regularly, um, "forget" to feed my fish for a couple of days in a row (yes, I hear Mark's Tank Protective Services on their way :P), and things are fine. The tangs forage for algae on the rocks and glass. I see the other fish scanning the rockwork for food.

I bout a pair of ice trays from walmart for $2. I put a mix of mysis, phyto, pellets, etc in it, then top off each "cube" with tank water and then freeze them. My neighbor checks on the cat once a day and drops one ice cube into the tank. Done.

I've gone several weeks without adding food to the tank with no ill effects on the fish or critters. I will point out that the fish were clowns, small tangs, blennies. I did not leave any sort of large predator fish in a bare fish only.

The worst part about leaving, and I'm sure others feel this way, is evaporation. I've found it to be much more of a pain than missing a few feedings. If you have an ATO you are set.

Before I travel I:

-Feed the tank once or twice more then I normally do

-Clean the skimmer a couple days before

-Do the normal water change I might miss

-Verify all my parameters are in line

-Make sure my topoff reservoir is completely full

Also healthy fish can go a week or two without being fed without issue so don't worry about that. Also a good idea to leave a set of keys with someone who can check on things if you are going to be gone longer then you plan or if something goes wrong. I also usually have a webcam and my rovio (mobile webcam) setup so I can check up on things while I am out.