Hi from Marble Falls

Sally White

Hi, ARC members. We (hubby and I) are jumping back into saltwater after a 10-year hiatus, during which time we kept 2 freshwater aquariums. This happened when we began discussing our bucket list, and this was one of mine.

Recently purchased an established 47g saltwater setup, with live sand, live rock, one soft coral, and a clownfish (think is a true percula), a purple firefish, and a few hermit crabs. Added a cleaner shrimp.

Question, as I cannot find this issue discussed in my web searches: our shrimp shed his exoskeleton last night - should it be removed from the tank? No creatures are paying it any attention. Ran all water tests this morning, A-OK.

Planning to set up our first reef tank in a 75g that is currently empty. Going to use a local expert for advice. The 47g will probably become the quarantine tank, although may set up something smaller for that purpose.

Hope everyone is enjoying a relaxing and fun Thanksgiving.

Sally

Marble Falls

Welcome to ARC Sally!

To answer your question, the skeleton could be left to break down w/out issue, but I always remove mine when I can see them. I'm sure sometimes I don't spot them so those times, the cleanup crew does its job.

I'm curious...who is the local expert you are using for advice?