Emerald crabs

dpotts

I have a few small spots of bubble algae in my 90g and was wanting to get an emerald crab to help get rid of it. I'm kinda worried about it eating my corals and was wondering if anyone out there has them in their tanks with corals. I have sofites,mushrooms, some LPS and zoas.

They are very effective algaevores but if hungry are opportunistic feeders on just about everything in your tank. I had a bad experience with one but plan on getting another. My understanding is that if you keep them small you are good to go. Just trade them off after 6 months or so.

I put 30 in my 75g and it seemed about perfect. I really enjoyed "catching" them in the act of doing whatever. When you only have 1 you never see it.

30!

I have 1 in my 75 gallon. He got rid of the couple of bubbles of algae I had. I see him around from time to time. Mostly hiding on my spiny gorgonian.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got two for my 75. I'm kinda overrun with bubble algae. I see one every once in a while. They haven't made much of a dent in the bubble algae, but it's only been a couple of weeks and there really is a bunch of it.

I put 30 in my 75g and it seemed about perfect. I really enjoyed "catching" them in the act of doing whatever. When you only have 1 you never see it.

I have long considered CRMike one of our more knowledgeable members. It has only been recently that I realized he also has a sense of humor. So read his responses carefully. Me thinks his reference to catching them in the act means he most likely has the low side of 1 in his tank.

Personally I had exactly one in my tank because of some bubble algae. By in large, my bubble algae subsided significantly so even though I never saw him eating it I suspect he was of assistance. I also had noticed, in time, frags frequently knocked down and occasionally polyps disappearing, sometimes significantly. I never saw him doing this, but I suspect he was of assistance.

Bill

No actually I have the ability to buy wholesale and on some items I can only buy in groups of 50 such as snails, hermits, shrimp, etc. There was a special on emeralds and they were $0.75 each for 30. I thought, hey why not?

You are correct that I am a smartass and a jokester as well, kudos for calling me out, however you are dead wrong this time, lol. Do keep your wits up cause it usually is very easy to spot when I am pulling someone's leg. But when I say I have 20 motorcycles in the shed, or if I say my RO system is 300gpd with over 200g of storage, or if I say I buy my salt 10 buckets at a time I actually mean that.

Mike is a strong believer in the adage, "if it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing." :D

I have 6+ in each of my tanks and hundreds in my large tubs. Emeralds are great. I have never noticed any problems with them eating anything I didn't want them to. They are real good about disappearing under rocks. Often I will only see their claws working on algae and never see the rest of the creature. True emeralds stay pretty small and stick to eating algae. Of course I would not put anything past a hungry crab.

We have had issues with some of them dying after a few months....maybe because they ran out of food? However, we have a big guy in our 29 gallon tank and he is doing just fine. I like watching them eat....they are fun, and if they get up to the glass and you approach them quickly they will run around with their claws up in the air....which I think it funny to watch.

So I was looking at the pics my wife took of our 29 biocube cycling. It hit the hair algae phase and we dropped a large emerald in there (thanks Mama!). Take a look, flip through them quick and he appears to be dancing :)

Obviously I love em, one of my favorite tank critters.

post-884-12581361736758_thumb.jpg

post-884-12581361860907_thumb.jpg

post-884-12581362268257_thumb.jpg

Well, I have 400 in my 3 gallon pico. It is just a big bucket of emerald crabs, with a little bit of water. No algae problems, though.

This made me laugh pretty loud when my students were taking a test :)

They weren't happy with the fact that I could "surf" while they were suffering :(