T5 lighting combination

atxryan

Like everyone, I want my corals to have the best coloration possible. I have previously set up to maximize growth but I have noticed that my sps are not coloring in like they should. For example, my ORA purple plasma is more of a white color on the branches. The tips are crazy purple and I want the rest of the coral to color similarly. Polyp extention is excellent on the plasma as well as many other torts and acros. Basically, how should I adjust my lighting to increase color and not loose all my growth. This is how I have my fixture set up now. I will buy about 3 bulbs at a time.

10. Act + july 09

9. 10k Nov 08

8. Figi purple April 09

7. Aqua blue + April 09

6. 10k Nov 08

5. Pure Act Sept 09

4. 10k Nov 08

3. Act + April 09

2. Pure Act July 09

1. Aqua Blue + April 09

bulbs are Giesman except for 10k

Any and all input is appriciated. I am thinking of replacing 1-2 10k with 15 or 20k. or adding more act.

I am not your expert on lighting. However, I like Anthony Calfo, think to much emphasis is placed on lighting technology and expense. The creatures in our reef tanks do not turn off and on with different bulbs. Try a little TLC with circulation and food. Just a thought.

Have you a bodacious day,

Pat C

I am not your expert on lighting. However, I like Anthony Calfo, think to much emphasis is placed on lighting technology and expense. The creatures in our reef tanks do not turn off and on with different bulbs. Try a little TLC with circulation and food. Just a thought.

Have you a bodacious day,

Pat C

I know you feed you corals well and you spot feed and you have the wave-box so im not sure about the circulation and food. what you could try in reefroids or dosing vodka the colors i am getting from my vsv are brilliant im even growing pink coraline. your welcome to come over anytime and check it out. its just an option. also maybe think about a MH? just to try and see if their is a big difference.

I have been lazy on the iodine. maybe once a week but most likeley less. I never thought that iodine helped colors but I will try to get on a schedual. Does anyone think it is the lights? I always have great parameters and do 15% change weekly. PH is stable at about 8.2 and only dips to 8.0 to 8.1 at night. Any other ideas?? How often to you all dose iodine. my understanding is that a good skimmer will pull out Lugals fairly quickly

I dose about 2 times a week. it doesn't take long for the tank to use the iodine. but make sure you test for it, to much iodine can crash the tank. in my 90 its usually 2 cap fulls every 2 days or so. when you do water change it replenishes the iodine but again its used so quickly by the tank. i feed the reefroids the same 2 times a week. i dont think its lighting. you can try to add another 10k or 6.7k into the mix but again i dont really think its lighting.

can anyone guess how much growth I would loose if I change 2 10k for 2- 15 or 20k. How much more color? Its hard to give up lots of growth for a little color but would greatly give up a little growth for noticeable color change

http://tfivetesting.googlepages.com/

http://www.reefcentr...83#post15739583

Good info on the first regarding PAR readings and color comparisons.

Dig through the other when you have some spare time, someone might have asked something similar.

Do you think you need more red, blue, or white?

Ryan, the Reefroids will help greatly in color and growth, its highly recoed by most lfs its really a very good coral food. i have seen significant changes in both color and growth. i have also seen coral heal faster and gain color back. i have been using it for 3 months and my corals couldnt look any better.. you should try it for a month. its cheaper than new bulbs and you mite get what you are looking for, i really dont think its the lights. if it is i would think more on the lines that most sps coral growers reco MH lights to get the most from your corals.

+1 on feeding your corals. I have been using reef roids for about a 2 months. I decided I wasn't feeding enough so started to do so. I just added the roids to my regular feeding regime and saw increased color and growth within two weeks.

Now I feed

1. a cube of either mysis or spirulina brine
  2. 1 TBS DTs Phyto
  3. 1 TSP Rotifer or 1 cube Cyclops
  4. 1 TSP Reef Roids
  5. about a 1" x 2.5" sheet of nori

Ever other day. I have a pretty heavy coral garden mix with two clowns and one lawnmower blenny in a 24g nano cube. I also use formula 1 flake food on non-feeding days for the clowns. Only big reccomendation would be to ramp up your feeding slowly so your tank can take the bio load.

I know you feed you corals well and you spot feed and you have the wave-box so im not sure about the circulation and food. what you could try in reefroids or dosing vodka the colors i am getting from my vsv are brilliant im even growing pink coraline. your welcome to come over anytime and check it out. its just an option. also maybe think about a MH? just to try and see if their is a big difference.

Please explain, dosing vodka. It is an interesting process. I considered vinegar as it was a cheaper source of carbon.

Pat C