Good TDS vs. Bad TDS?

mcallahan

I tested the water in my RO/DI barrel yesterday and it came out @ 4 TDS. I then tested the water straight out of my RO/DI unit and it read 0 multiple times. So I concluded there might be some residue in my barrel.

That being said, I filled my 5 gallon jugs with water (same ones I use to top off my tank and mix salt) and overnight, the TDS in there rose to 14.

So, is there good TDS and bad TDS? I figure the water in my mixing jugs has a TDS of 14 due to residue from the salt mix and buffer solutions, so would you say that TDS is bad, or just a normal part of using jugs to mix water?

Unless your clean, dry and cover your mixing container when its not in use, you will get some TDS. There are good and bad dissolved solids. Left over salt and a little dust from the air are fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Unless your clean, dry and cover your mixing container when its not in use, you will get some TDS. There are good and bad dissolved solids. Left over salt and a little dust from the air are fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

I was figuring that, esp. since I "dope" my top off water with Ca, Mg, Alk solution, Iodine, etc. AT some point, SOMETHING is going to get in the water.

I have been told that water with 0 tds is so pure that I will attract tds like a magnet. Even the little that is in the moisture in the air. I just gave up trying to keep 0 tds in my top of water and just deal with it