Need a Plumber!

dapettit

I think for a leak in my previous house I had used Christian Brothers Plumbing. We had a mysterious leak in the wall behind the guest shower. They found/fixed it with only two holes cut in the wall.

It should be pretty simple. When they installed the washer the spigot for the was leaking, I was instructed to use mop cord method to fix it. I think while I was trying to remove the spigot I may have twisted the pipe towards the bottom. At first I thought it was leaking out from the floor. I will be emptying my water barrels to get behind them to check the situation. I should have it done this evening.

I think the sheet rock may need to be removed.

Dave-

Well I emptied the run off water barrel and with my "brute' strength moved the good water far enough to expose all the sheet rock (sorry reef-pug & seahorsejl). The floor and dry wall is completely dry. I cleaned up the water and it seems to be coming up through a small crack in the concrete. Of course the orginal leak could be anywher but I still think it is coming from the washer some how. I don't have the expertise to figure this out and a plumber or some one who knows about plumbing would be helpful.

Dave-

im guessing your on a concrete slab foundation right? if the pipe is broken beneath the concrete your going to have to get a jack hammer and break up a small area of the slab to expose the pipe. you might be able to confirm the location of the leak by shutting off the main leading to your house. then using a towel, dry the suspected area ofthe leak. after the area is dry and you dont see any more water weeping through the concrete, have someone turn back on the water main while you stand there and watch the suspected area. if you see water coming back up through the foundation and there isnt any water leaking down the pipe from above, then it means the pipe is broken inside the foundation, in which case you'll need to break up the concrete. you want to be sure its coming from the floor before you break anything up though. its also possible that the pipe is leaking from above ground and dripping down the back side of the pipe where you cant see it only to end up on the floor where it loooks like its coming up from the foundation.

im not technically a plumber, but i'v done alot of this work before. if you want i might be able to stop by after work tomarrow and have a look to see if there is anything i can help you with? im hoping to get off by 4pm tomarrow but i cant gaurantee it. giveme a call if you want to set something up, ill pm you my number...

I'm not an expert but my paranoia about foundation problems would lead me to turn off the main water line while not needed. Since most people are alseep or away from the house for 8+8 =16 hours or more a day this can cut down on the amount of water by 2/3 a day. My main concern would be too much water leaking into the slab in one spot. It might cause the soil to turn into mud in just one spot and cause foundation problems. Just my 2cents mainly centered around concenrs with foundatoin. It might be a pain turning it off an on, but having foundation problems is a nightmare. I'm not a foundation expert either, but know people who have had problems. Fixing them can be crazy expensive.

I would call a schedule a plummer and get their advise on what you should do before they can come out.

I as well have done alot of plumbing work. i was an engineer for 8 years before i decided it wasn't the job i really wanted i am certifyed in plumbing.. but not really a plumber.. i can help if you need it.

Chris came by and took a look (thanks Chris). It's not leaking from the piping going to the washer. He thinks the pipe is cracked under the concrete. I guess I'll be calling a plumber since there isn't 1 on the forum.

Dave-

Just an FYI Dave. We had a slab leak in our bathroom and the guys from Johnny Rooter were able to re-route our line through the attic and down the wall(leak was between the sink and tub and supplied hot water to tub/shower.) and while it wasn't cheap, it was better than busting the slab out.

All fixed.

Max from Johnny Rooter just left. My A/C water run off was clogged. What really makes me mad is I had my A/C guy out here 2 weeks ago. :angry:

Oh well at least it wasn't as bad as I first thought.

Dave-